Black filler for walnut knots?

estesbubba

In the past I've used walnut sawdust mixed with epoxy for knots but since walnut knots are so dark i think darker would look better. I was wondering if ebony Timbermate might look better? Or is there anything i could mix with epoxy to make it dark? Any ideas for small knots (and pith) like these?

IMG_0218.JPG

I use Speedball ink. A couple of drops does the job, and it's supposed to be color fast.

When I try to fill pinhole knots like those I put a dab of tinted ink on and then take an exacto knife and poke down into the hole to try to evacuate the air at the bottom and get the epoxy down inside. A hair dryer can help to make it run down and eliminate bubbles. Don't try to fill the holes on the first pour. Just get your base down and try to overfill the knots later so you can plane/sand them flush. It often takes one last little layer to fill the tiny pores caused by bubbles.

I just used "Cushings Perfection Direct Dye" in turquoise mixed into a little 5-minute epoxy.  It's used for paint, I think-I got it in an art store. Once dry it looks black. I originally wanted the blue color for a project, but it didn't end up blue. My guess is any dark dye will work.  I've also used a few drops of India ink.  

• 1 month later...