Greta de Parry Interview with Cosmopolitan and Wood Talk online mention.

Ok, so I just got the post on my facebook wall as i'm a follow of Greta's Facebook page (Furniture by Greta de Parry).

And, i have to say i think some of the stuff in the interview is maybe a bit off.... As i was a contributor to the original post (supporting what Greta is doing in all aspects) that Marc put up asking was what she was doing "damaging" to the wood industry (which he later wanted to change as he felt that word was out of context from what he meant) and as a listener to the podcast that was talking about Greta, i have to say i'm not really impressed with the interview (but then again it is cosmo).

I Like Greta's work and her style alot and i like this fresh image she is bringing to woodworking.

But this interview makes it sound like us male (wood Talk) followers are a bunch of brainless hormonal monkeys

I think this is something that could potentially be damaging to Greta woodworking career...or am i wrong

I wish they had put Marc's age - it made him sound like a middle aged man. I assume that they are close in age, and if her contemporaries are offering criticism, it gives more credibility.

That being said, she is making generic furniture from what I see. It may be high quality for its style, but it looks like Pottery Barn or some of these other catalog companies, so she has to differentiate herself. Her appearance does that very well.

It's all about the sale. As I had a salesman tell me, he was just a shoe shine and a smile. She is a smile, hair and tight jeans, professionally photographed, fronting some talent for making furniture. I wish her well.

I would love to give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't realize how this article would be presented before agreeing to it, but she says she's pround and honored by it.  I would be horrified to have that article associated with my business.  I'm sure I'd be better off financially if I were willing to sell myself like that though.

On the plus side, Cosmo didn't find Marc's video in the blond wig on the bed.  That would have been interesting.

In Marc's defense, how, if at all, could the question have been asked more artfully?  Should he have started commenting on how good it is to have a pretty face in the trade?   One can imagine the charges of shallow, demeaning people who don't see her for what's on the inside...

The initial article specifically mentioned Ms. de Parry's physical good looks, seeking to play up the curious twist of a beautiful lady engaged in things not generally associated with beautiful ladies.  The photo spread for said article certainly didn't make any effort to hinder that.  The writer of the Cosmo article likewise had a clear narrative to push: Playing up the fairy tale of a brave young lass and the grumpy old men who don't want her in the club certainly makes for romantic reading.  I can see the Hollywood screenplay now...the only question is who will play Marc?

As for Ms. de Parry, all one can say now is that there's no such thing as bad press.  Let's wait and see what she does with it.

Bummer the article was so inaccurate regarding the Woodtalk episode. DeParry said she had listened and liked the show. I left a comment on her FB page. We as a group generally are excited to have more and more women in the trade. It shouldn't be as male dominated as it is, but that isn't because it's a man thing, it's just how society has been in the past. We aren't the past.

• Like 1

Does anyone else see a blaring double standard? The news anchors can assign the label "super model who welds" as a juxtaposition at best but more likely as a non-sequitur. I see this as the shallow commentary. The question was and remains: was/is this portrayal helpful to the craft? Is this like the beer commercial and the beauty is the shill? Are there carpentry minded young ladies being set up for disappointment when their carpentry is just as good or better but they do not recieve notariety because they are not deemed "supermodel" quality? God please protect my daughters from this end.

Does anyone else see a blaring double standard? The news anchors can assign the label "super model who welds" as a juxtaposition at best but more likely as a non-sequitur. I see this as the shallow commentary. The question was and remains: was/is this portrayal helpful to the craft? Is this like the beer commercial and the beauty is the shill? Are there carpentry minded young ladies being set up for disappointment when their carpentry is just as good or better but they do not recieve notariety because they are not deemed "supermodel" quality? God please protect my daughters from this end.

That is just how our society is at the time.  It is incumbent upon you to instill a great sense of self worth in your daughters that has more to do with what kind of person they are than how good they look. But, not to take full advantage of any and all god given advantages to make it in what is generally a meager existence profession, would be foolhardy. 

• Like 2

I may just be out of touch, but until I read this thread I had never heard of this woman.

I went to her site and saw nothing that suggested exceptional skill or talent, except for that of self promotion. If it weren't for her looks I doubt that her work would get any attention at all. I've seen similar stuff at arts and crafts shows, made by both men and women hobbyists.

Of course, if she takes woodworking seriously and practices enough, there's no reason that she can't one day become the great designer/builder she already thinks she is.

I may be just an old geezer, but it seems to me that the advent of social media has made it far too easy to become famous in our society. It has also made crassness and undignified behavior popular. Poor spelling, poor grammar, and limited vocabularies have almost become a source of pride.

Sometimes I feel like we've really lowered the bar on who and what we admire.  

• Like 1

Having my fun with the whole thing aside, off the bat, any offputting comments that rubbed me the wrong way was by the Cosmo interviewer, not Greta De Parry herself. The interviewer sees what she 'wants' to see, Marc and company was nothing but respectful of the topic on the Wood Talk show.

As for Greta, I have no issue with her nor how she presents herself. Consider her background: she was a graphic designer and likely working in advertising (or the business of presenting or selling 'something'), she knows EXACTLY how the game of self-promotion is played. Controversy creates cash and sex sells, period. And even if it wasn't her intention to play the sex card, such flattering glamour shots to put your best face forward can be very empowering to not only females, but practically anyone. For someone promoting themselves, what they do or a self-brand, well done photography and attractive portraits on a website can make a world of difference if the particular situation fits.

As for her work, that's subjective. She's clearly more artsy / contemporary and I personally like stuff like that (love the synthesis bench), but I can see where a more traditional woodworker wouldn't appreciate anything about it. She's also fairly young and clearly early on in her career, so who knows what she will be making ten years down the line.

• Like 1

Having my fun with the whole thing aside, off the bat, any offputting comments that rubbed me the wrong way was by the Cosmo interviewer, not Greta De Parry herself. The interviewer sees what she 'wants' to see, Marc and company was nothing but respectful of the topic on the Wood Talk show.

As for Greta, I have no issue with her nor how she presents herself. Consider her background: she was a graphic designer and likely working in advertising (or the business of presenting or selling 'something'), she knows EXACTLY how the game of self-promotion is played. Controversy creates cash and sex sells, period. And even if it wasn't her intention to play the sex card, such flattering glamour shots to put your best face forward can be very empowering to not only females, but practically anyone. For someone promoting themselves, what they do or a self-brand, well done photography and attractive portraits on a website can make a world of difference if the particular situation fits.

As for her work, that's subjective. She's clearly more artsy / contemporary and I personally like stuff like that (love the synthesis bench), but I can see where a more traditional woodworker wouldn't appreciate anything about it. She's also fairly young and clearly early on in her career, so who knows what she will be making ten years down the line.

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing GdP's work. In fact, I like some of it.

It just doesn't seem to be particularly newsworthy, yet she's profiled on national TV. Similar (and better) stuff is seen posted on woodworking forums every day. 

As for her self-promotion, I think it comes across as a little too obvious. Every photo, video, and interview that I've seen seems to be more about her than her work. That gets tiresome very quickly.

It just doesn't seem to be particularly newsworthy, yet she's profiled on national TV. Similar (and better) stuff is seen posted on woodworking forums every day.

Norm's work, was nothing special, and he had a long standing TV series. She approaches woodworking from an artistic stand point, and that's a lot more appealing to younger people than say yet another shaker table.
  • Like 2

Norm's work, was nothing special, and he had a long standing TV series. She approaches woodworking from an artistic stand point, and that's a lot more appealing to younger people than say yet another shaker table.

The other thing to consider is the segment itself wasn't spectacular woodworking, it was "I Love My Job." And the attractive female woodworker angle probably got the show's attention even more.

Skilled use of website design and content can can make anyone look like more than they really are. A nice looking young women poses for sexy photos with some machines, and she quickly becomes admired as a skilled furniture maker. This is not fair to the young men and women who are out there paying their dues, spending the necessary time and energy learning the craft from the ground up. 

But maybe I'm judging her too harshly. Can anyone point me to any videos of Greta de Parry doing something truly skillful? Something more than those quick clips suggesting she's actually working with a tool or machine?

Whether you liked Norm's show or not, every episode was a detailed account of Norm building a woodworking project, not about Norm himself. There is good reason that so many respect his experience, skill, and knowledge.

I think we are now touching on other subjects here. Woodworking/Craft is a broad church. Comparing Norm & Greta is kind of Crazy apart from one important fact. They both are both very talented woodworkers/crafts people however their inspiration is very different and how they like to express themselves is very different. One thing I would be reluctant about doing is judging anyone too much. 

There are parallels in other creative industries. Both Rembrant  and Damien Hirst are both artists but as with Norm & Greta they approached it very differently. I for one like to give people the room to express themselves and enjoy the variety. We do need a variety of people involved, people to preserve our rich heritage and people to break the mould and create a new heritage and new ideas.

I am also sure I could learn new things from Norm or Greta, they would just be very different skills form each person.

• Like 1