Maple end table

Llama

I wanted to start this one here from the beginning. 

Here is a new table I am making. It will be very similar to the mahogany ones I showed on here. I am using a highly figured flame maple for the aprons and the top, and fairly straight maple for the legs. The material is just wonderful! It looks so wavy just sitting there. If It were blue, I'd get seasick! lol

Getting the leg stock ready for ripping!

1157433_10201783684462000_68145658_n.jpg

The material is just wonderful! It looks so wavy just sitting there. If It were blue, I'd get seasick! lol

Lumber tease!!!

You can't just say that and then not give us a picture.

Btw, I had to laugh seeing the old recycling bin for scraps.  That was the fate of ours too when the city went to the big cans.  

Looking forward to seeing this build.  The last one was fantastic.

I'll post pics later. I tapered the legs by hand. First time for Maple by hand. I like it alot! Very nice to work with. One thing with maple is it acts how you think it will, very predictable. Well, you still have to read it ;)

I didn't time myself or anything, but the time seemed to go by quickly. I worked up a good sweat and had the music going. I was just having a great time! :)

Oh, the table is for sale. I don't have a customer for it yet. Hopefully that changes!

I am very pleased with my progress today! Here are some pictures.

Layout is important! 

484079_10201785226420548_1830928336_n.jp

After layout, I cut a few kerfs in order to establish the base line. Not really necessary, but I hog this material out very quickly with my Jack plane. I get pretty excited, and don't want to go too deep! 

1150801_10201785226900560_422917667_n.jp

Shavings!

553061_10201785227580577_362191123_n.jpg

Taper done, and smoothed with my #2. This is a small size, but perfect for smoothing leg tapers. 

1005667_10201785227860584_1765693350_n.j

Sighting in the top line of the taper. I am sure it is one of those lines :)

1003531_10201785228220593_565537909_n.jp

Almost done!

1175135_10201785230260644_1397799538_n.j

Here is my way of holding the tapered leg in the vise. This works for me very well for me. 

1170716_10201785230860659_1731080297_n.j

Aftermath!

1098138_10201785231460674_541420560_n.jp

After tapering the first leg, I switched to the stanley set to a much deeper cut than I set on the Lie-Nielsen Low-Angle Jack. After hogging out the majority of the material with the $5, I went back to the LN 62 for cleaning up the tapers. I ran the #2 to smooth out some tear out on a couple of the legs. The 62 did a great job, and would have been much more of a chore than this was. 

Nice job, Mel. I love the figure in those boards too. Did you have to pick through a big stack to get them?

Thanks!

It was a medium stack :) They were stacked vertically. There was one that was super figured... I could see the top five or so inches, and of course it was in the back of the pile! I moved every board to get to it. The board was only figured on that very top part! So, as I was putting everything back I got the best few boards they had. :)

Mel,

You are to darn fast! I went back and reread your post three times trying to figure out what the heck Byrdie was talking about. :)

It's a sickness really. I kind of got lucky on that one. But I usually check my posts regurarly to see if there are any questions or compliments :)

I glued the top last night. Today I flattened the top and underside. Then I put some water on it, and this is the picture. I was shocked to see the figure was so much, well.. more figured on the edge of one of the boards. I feel like cutting it, and re gluing the top.

I'm not sure now. Pretty frustrated right now. I must have gotten my marks wrong last night.

gy5y6abu.jpg

It's looking great Mel.  I think it will look good either way, but I agree with you.  It will look better with the heavy curl grain matched as best possible side to side giving more of a book-matched type look.  

Would you put the heaviest curl matched in the middle, or on the outer edges?  I think it works either way as long as both side are consistent, but most people put the heavy figure in the middle.  I always think that is strange, since that is where people always pile stuff, so that beauty gets buried in practical use.  

Keep up the good work!  It looking fantastic.

I couldn't take it anymore! First thing this morning, I cut it and glued it up with the figure towards the outside. I've seen alot of tables with the grain inside, maybe there's a good reason? The reason I did it this way is to get the better looking edge grain from the flame. Now I need to decide on a finish. This one will be done shortly! :)

• Like 1

I couldn't take it anymore! First thing this morning, I cut it and glued it up with the figure towards the outside. I've seen alot of tables with the grain inside, maybe there's a good reason? The reason I did it this way is to get the better looking edge grain from the flame.

Now I need to decide on a finish. This one will be done shortly! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you haven't already, watch Marc's popping the grain video.  I normally use 1:1:1 BLO|Amber Shellac|DnA.  I think transtint pops better though.  

Samples of the finish.  My board were not as figured as yours in their raw state, so you should get even better results.

post-7224-0-25356200-1377022193_thumb.jp

post-7224-0-69225900-1377022338_thumb.jp