Maple end table

Llama

• 4 weeks later...

Table is done!

I am so happy with the finished table. It's the first time I've used the Arm-R-Seal Oil & Urethane Top coat and it's great! I'm glad I chose the "satin" variety as well. It's pretty shiny :) The maple really gets the chance to show its beauty without having unnecessary color added. Just an impressive piece of wood!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

So to carry over part of the conversation about highlander's walnut end table: i believe your slim, sleek legs are a perfect match for the figured maple top - sort of a three dimensional extension of what the grain's doing. So great job on not only letting the wood speak for itself, but also letting the wood design the piece. And I definitely see how simple causes everything to stand out more.

• Like 2

So to carry over part of the conversation about highlander's walnut end table: i believe your slim, sleek legs are a perfect match for the figured maple top - sort of a three dimensional extension of what the grain's doing. So great job on not only letting the wood speak for itself, but also letting the wood design the piece. And I definitely see how simple causes everything to stand out more.

Thank you so much!

Thank you for the compliment!

I have done a very bad job advertising my work. It is a result of friends telling me they want stuff, so then I keep my schedule clear, other friends are just too cheap. I really don't know how to properly market my furniture. On one hand I think I need a showroom full of stuff, and on the other I'm a custom guy at heart.

I've started telling friends that I'll make them anything they want, but I'm not cheaper than Walmart. Which seems to be the expectation. Very disheartening!

I have thought about craft shows. Maybe I'll get more serious into selling soon. It would be nice to be able to have people fall in love with the stuff I make. :)

Thank you for the compliment!

I have done a very bad job advertising my work. It is a result of friends telling me they want stuff, so then I keep my schedule clear, other friends are just too cheap. I really don't know how to properly market my furniture. On one hand I think I need a showroom full of stuff, and on the other I'm a custom guy at heart.

I've started telling friends that I'll make them anything they want, but I'm not cheaper than Walmart. Which seems to be the expectation. Very disheartening!

I have thought about craft shows. Maybe I'll get more serious into selling soon. It would be nice to be able to have people fall in love with the stuff I make. :)

I just said something on Twitter the other day that involved custom furniture and Walmart.

"People want custom furniture at Walmart prices. Understand that the cost of materials alone is more than the Walmart price tag."

Have you even been scoffed at when you told someone a price to make something? It's very disheartening.

Given what I've seen on this site, as soon as people start seeing your work, I think that's pretty likely to happen :)

If you don't mind my asking, how much would you ask for this piece? No worries if you don't want to share. Only reason I ask is that I have a very hard time trying to figure out how things should be priced - I'm just getting into the craft myself, and would like to sell some pieces someday.

I hear you on the walmart comment. When I tell people how much custom woodwork costs, they are usually blown away, as if they think that every custom woodworker has a bunch of cheap chinese labor and materials sitting in their garage!

Price is a difficult thing! Perhaps the hardest part of the entire project for me.

A walk around some craft fairs, and people are selling cutting boards for $200. Plain ones too! Other guys are getting around a grand for a similar table, honestly not as nice as mine either. Most pieces had roughly bandsawn edges, very infinished.

A few guys had nice stuff, however overpriced in my mind. But, I can just build my own. :)

I think a fair price for my table is in the $450-$600 range. I have seen some sell for much more, and others a little less.

I think an issue to be mindful of is perceived value. If an item costs more, most people assume it's nicer. I know an artist that raised her prices on Etsy because she was losing sales to other people, and ended up tripling her sales in a month.

Who knows, maybe I'm overpricing my stuff, and maybe I'm shorting myself.