Overrated Woodworking

G S Haydon

Nah, but this will..

Greene #1: "I don't know, I mean sure we've succeeded in taking a perfectly good design and making it a complete PITA to build for no reason, but it's still missing something."

Greene #2: "What if we added square pegs all over the place that don't actually do anything?"

Greene #1: "And we can make them all proud of the surface and rounded on the end to make it even more of a PITA!"

Greene #2: "Genius!"

I think we need the Guinness guys to pop out here and say "Brilliant!!"

guinnessbrilliant.jpg

There, now that's better ;-)

• Like 1

Nah, but this will..

Greene #1: "I don't know, I mean sure we've succeeded in taking a perfectly good design and making it a complete PITA to build for no reason, but it's still missing something."

Greene #2: "What if we added square pegs all over the place that don't actually do anything?"

Greene #1: "And we can make them all proud of the surface and rounded on the end to make it even more of a PITA!"

Greene #2: "Genius!"

You're not the only one who's not a G&G fan. I love that they're holistic builders-designers, and that their stuff actually works (as opposed to Frank Lloyd Wright), but damn, I hate their actual design sense (partly because Asia is big and has some diverse woodworking traditions, and saying "Asian Inspired" seems to be a shortcut for "I cut some curves and overcomplicated this."

• Like 2

You're not the only one who's not a G&G fan. I love that they're holistic builders-designers, and that their stuff actually works (as opposed to Frank Lloyd Wright), but damn, I hate their actual design sense (partly because Asia is big and has some diverse woodworking traditions, and saying "Asian Inspired" seems to be a shortcut for "I cut some curves and overcomplicated this."

Completely agree.

"Asian Inspired"... there's a lot of beautiful woodworking that comes out of all the varied cultures and regions over there.  Whenever I see "this is Asian inspired", usually it means one thing was cut crooked or has an ill-conceived disproportionate curve, neither of which is a design element in any Asian furniture.

"I cut some curves and overcomplicated this."

I actually laughed out loud to that. I agree.

I have to say, while we are in the thick of this topic, all comments are made with respect to other woodworkers, and in good jest. I really like the diversity of what we do in woodworking, but there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion and stirring up some sawdust (metaphorically in this sense).

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, finally have a few to share.

Plywood router bits: Yes, plywood is sometimes undersized for a 3/4 dado, but sometimes the plywood bit is undersized for the plywood. Got screwed one time where a confirmed undersized panel just would not fit in the dado (despite a piece of scrap from it fitting on a test run). Honestly the 3/4 dado would have made an acceptable snug fit, particularly if the panel was prefinished. Speaking of which...

Pre-finishing (sometimes): It is easier to finish some things while disassembled, but you sometimes spend so much time protecting the finished areas when working on the outside or other things that it would have been easier to hit the entire project with the sprayer all in one go. Just depends on the project.

Rustic wood: More a client thing. Going back and forth a bit with a person who wants to use some rustic wood he procured, but it's pretty beat (I can pull some of it apart with my hands if I try) and I don't even want my power tools touching it (nail fear).  Though I've suggested going with typical hardwoods and plywoods (which the plans call for to begin with) that will be far sturdier, he's still trying to figure out a way to make the rustic wood work.

Rustic wood: More a client thing. Going back and forth a bit with a person who wants to use some rustic wood he procured, but it's pretty beat (I can pull some of it apart with my hands if I try) and I don't even want my power tools touching it (nail fear).  Though I've suggested going with typical hardwoods and plywoods (which the plans call for to begin with) that will be far sturdier, he's still trying to figure out a way to make the rustic wood work.

I will never understand this fad....