Cart before the horse insanity.

Tpt life

Never expected this thread from two years ago to resurface. I have a journal in the works. I have made the determination that I am more of a maker and less of a furniture builder. I enjoy many processes and the learning as much as mastery.  In light of that, this winter I started a project that lent itself well to fits and spurts. I am working on a dovetail infill. I picked lignum vitae as a new to me medium. More in another thread coming soon. 

IMG_2262.JPG

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with being a "maker".  Having the FWW skill set and tools is nothing but an advantage.  But the willingness and mindset to allow other mediums to come into your work is a bigger one.  Maybe you'll get the inclination to learn welding, and pick up a cheap hobby Tig, allowing you to add metal frames to your pieces.   There are many routes you can take by not limiting yourself

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

I've come to the tentative conclusion that I don't "need" another store bought tool to complete a job - there are various ways to "get er done".  New tools will be justified when I repeatedly find that I want them (to save time or improve work.)

I'm working on a bowl with lots of piercing cuts.  Had to break out my el cheapo coping saw to make the cuts.  There were some areas that were too small to be able to drill a big enough hole to fit the coping saw blade through or fit a needle file.  I don't have a fret saw.  So I held a scroll saw blade with my fingers.  Not the most effective cutting, but I made up a lot of time not having to get the blade into holders and tensioned every hole.  A fancy Knew Concepts fret saw has been in and out of my Lee Valley cart but I couldn't pull the trigger because I just don't see myself having enough of a need for it.  You also can't rotate the blade all the way around like on a coping saw so it wouldn't have replaced that, and I would have needed their even more expensive coping saw for that so now we were talking $250 for the pair.  For something that's going to go in the back of the tool cabinet and not come back out for three years.  I was strong.  Wait.. the free shipping doesn't end for another week... must get focused on another project.

18 hours ago, krtwood said:

I'm working on a bowl with lots of piercing cuts.  Had to break out my el cheapo coping saw to make the cuts.  There were some areas that were too small to be able to drill a big enough hole to fit the coping saw blade through or fit a needle file.  I don't have a fret saw.  So I held a scroll saw blade with my fingers.  Not the most effective cutting, but I made up a lot of time not having to get the blade into holders and tensioned every hole.  A fancy Knew Concepts fret saw has been in and out of my Lee Valley cart but I couldn't pull the trigger because I just don't see myself having enough of a need for it.  You also can't rotate the blade all the way around like on a coping saw so it wouldn't have replaced that, and I would have needed their even more expensive coping saw for that so now we were talking $250 for the pair.  For something that's going to go in the back of the tool cabinet and not come back out for three years.  I was strong.  Wait.. the free shipping doesn't end for another week... must get focused on another project.

Would this (inexpensive Stanley tool) help (and please ignore my previous, probably unhelpful comment!)

IMG_2815.JPG

Seems almost cyclical.

TTW.jpg

On 1/26/2014 at 2:19 PM, Pug said:

The cold weather always keeps me down this time of year. Even with a somewhat heated, and insulated shop, it's just no fun to woodwork in the cold. I put a small hand tool only shop in my basement for these times so I can work on dovetails, or build a less complex piece.

I think I may give the contemplation bench a whirl too. The only issue is I cannot use a grinder indoors, and the weather is TERRIBLE - like -38 degrees Celsius terrible.

:(

Maybe I'll build a few shop projects.

I got one of those $99 60K BTU propane torpedo heaters from Lowe's. It warms up a 2-car garage in about 30 minutes when the temp is in the teens. Warm enough to handle cast iron, and that's enough.  Safe for indoor use.

5 hours ago, collinb said:

Seems almost cyclical.

TTW.jpg

I got one of those $99 60K BTU propane torpedo heaters from Lowe's. It warms up a 2-car garage in about 30 minutes when the temp is in the teens. Warm enough to handle cast iron, and that's enough.  Safe for indoor use.

Its funny how this thread was bumped up.  I am no longer in the shop that was referenced in that quote.  My new shop is small, and the heater I have does a fine job of warming it up!  I still don't do as much woodwork in the "off" season, however.  I still do a few projects, but less than in the other three seasons.