Tape Measures

Mzdadoc

Have you tried a folding rule, as a mason I could not live without one. I go through tapes at the rate of about 1 a week so I buy cheap ones for work, I have a couple vintage stainless steel 6 foot tapes that I leave in the shop, the problem is the numbers are very small and the blades are thin.

Machinist quality? Sure, they're accurate but no, you won't find that in a tape measure because most tapes measure in as small as 1/32. The majority of machining is measured in thousands. Get a Stanley FatMax, 1" blade, 25' long. Or buy a folding ruler if you're worried about accuracy. When it comes to large items you're not gonna get caliper accuracy. Measurements are relative, if you measure 5' 9" with 1 tape, you're get close to it with another, you might be off a bit because over time the tape can stretch, could be the hook in the font being a bit loose or off. just always use the same tape for measuring on a project.

Kev and Richard have the right idea ! If you use the same tape through an entire job and don't drop it on the hook( and bend it ) you will be just fine.

I check a tape measure against an accurate engraved blade on a combination square. I use a 10 x magnafiying loupe to check closely.

I have compared a General Instruments, Products Engineering, and Starrett blades and can't tell a difference.

The best tapes are the free promotional ones they give away with purchase at Harbor Freight. I have enough of them now that I don't have to search for one anymore. They're everywhere in my shop, like tribbles on the NCC-1701.

Ooooh...  A Star Trek fan I see...

Ooooh... A Star Trek fan I see...

I was once bedridden for 12 weeks after an off-roading accident. This was back before satellite TV was available to tbe public, and we lived too far outside town for cable, so I had two broadcast channels to pick from. I'm pretty sure I saw every episode of the original series at least three times. By the last round, I could recite the script along with the actors. When you are unable to sit up or get out of bed for any reason ( I stress, ANY reason), you learn to take whatever entertainment you can get.

The 16' Fat Max is my favorite shop tape.  If you're patient and pay attention, you can get them on sale for about 10 bucks.  I have about a dozen of them laying around. :)

I've tried a million different tapes, but the Fat Max is king!  No need for more than 16' unless you're doing construction.  The blade is the same width and has the same stand-out as the 30 footer...just less bulk and less weight.

• Like 1

I typically use relative measuring, but a tape is a must have for me regardless.  I use a "self centering" tape, meaning that every measurement has its 0.5 underneath it for quick mathematics.

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

Thanks for that... what a elegant idea... just picked one up on Amazon for ~6 bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001737NYU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 16' Fat Max is my favorite shop tape.  If you're patient and pay attention, you can get them on sale for about 10 bucks.  I have about a dozen of them laying around. :)

I've tried a million different tapes, but the Fat Max is king!  No need for more than 16' unless you're doing construction.  The blade is the same width and has the same stand-out as the 30 footer...just less bulk and less weight.

I have a 16 but, prefer the 12s in the shop..  I have quite a few of them.

I think I've used examples of them all, including Starrett and Stanley, my faves are the $8-$9 FastCaps with the pencil sharpener in the case.   I have several versions, including the flat back that'll go around corners.    The one I use most in the shop is a 16' version, standard / reverse reading, with the green trim.

If you poke around online, they're CHEAP from some sources.

@ Eric, apologies, mine are not Fat Max, they are just Stanley. Same company tho..

What I like about them is that I get the same simple measurement on both sides for the tape.  I have a tape that has metric on one side or actually writes the fractions on one side of the tape..