Show Off Your Lumber Stash

davewyo

I read that a company was able to use sweet gum laminated layers to replace industrial oak mats almost twice the thickness to support big crawler tracked machines in swampy construction sites. So it's strong stuff if handled properly. Your raw trunks look good, I hope they yield something useful.

Will post tonight what a great thread. I've wanted to do this for a while but my lumber is in my 2 car garage shop and I'm a true hoarder. It's everywhere except on the floor thank god. Will update soon. Hey Steve ! That honduran mahogany piece ! How much did that cost you 20 years ago ?

Day 3 Lumberjack.

Day 3 went much smoother & quicker...there were 3 of us instead of just 2.  No additional pictures since the logs all look the same.  I will update with a picture once we get all of the logs into Bob's garage.

Yep, that's awesome color for sweet gum! Gonna turn bowls out of it, or what?

I contacted a friend who does a lot of turning.  He does not like sweet gum for turning...much too hard. So, I don't plan to turn bowls with the sweet gum.  Also, I don't own a lathe (yet).

Regards,

FtrPilot

I got this lumber from craigslist. An old guy was selling all his wood working tools and lumber. He had 2 storage locker full of Cherry an Walnut. He was selling it for $1.00 a foot.Was supposed to get 300 board feet it ended up being almost 500 board foot when got home. He said he got it at a farm auction. This is better stuff than I have ever bought at any lumber yard.

post-16602-0-89257700-1427548192_thumb.j

post-16602-0-60303100-1427548221_thumb.j

• Like 1

==>An old guy

Let's substitute 'retiring woodworker' for 'old guy'

==>supposed to get 300 board feet it ended up being almost 500 board foot when got home

Happens every time... Now if I could get a Tardis* in the shape of a pickup truck, I'd go broke... :)

Dr. Who joke... Apologies in advance... was going to make a chameleon circuit joke, but that would been over everyone’s head -- hopefully... :)

• Like 1

I think your turner friend might be confused...American sweet gum is very soft.  Maybe he's thinking of Australian red gum, which has a janka rating in the two-thousands.  I believe sweet gum is like seven or eight hundred something.

I will talk with my turner friend when I see him in April.  Could be more of a preference issue.

I got this lumber from craigslist. An old guy was selling all his wood working tools and lumber. He had 2 storage locker full of Cherry an Walnut. He was selling it for $1.00 a foot.Was supposed to get 300 board feet it ended up being almost 500 board foot when got home. He said he got it at a farm auction. This is better stuff than I have ever bought at any lumber yard.

There's a chance I hate you a little bit right now. .

I pay $8 and up for decent walnut here and it's my favorite wood to work with.

It would take me several hours of driving around to different places to photograph the wood in different barns and buildings we have, and I would probably still forget somewhere.  My Dad was kind of like women that collect cloth, except he bought wood.  I even have disassembled 200 year old buildings in sheds at several places including here where we live.

I just finished my garage shop build and am now outfitting it with things I'll need.  I came across a guy on CL that was selling off his woodworking collection and spent $800 on wood among many other things.  I had to build the lumber cart to hold it all and the stuff left on the floor is unidentified wood that I'm still processing.

Here's what it included:

Wood (Board Feet) - All the wood in the picture on the lumber cart that I just built to store it all
------
Maple (Hard) - 12.5
Maple (Curly) - 14
Maple (Birdseye) - 14.7
Maple (Burl Block) - 14.1
Black Walnut - 37.3
Brazilian Rosewood - 2.1
Purpleheart - 9.6
Cherry - 18.3
Koa - 5.1
Palisander - 1.5
Iron Bark - 3.1
Gaboon Ebony - 1.1
Cocobolo - 6.6
Bubinga - 1.3
Zebrawood - 4.2
Quina - 4.4
Padauk - .7
Leopard Wood - 1.1
Honduras Mahogany - 5.6
Chakte Kok - 6.7

Stack of wood that is still unidentified
Misc pieces of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood

post-17608-0-57325800-1427749486_thumb.j

post-17608-0-19103700-1427749487_thumb.j

post-17608-0-58603100-1427749487_thumb.j

• Like 1

Unidentified stack:

Top right is wenge.  The board under the wenge looks like it could be bocote.

Top left looks like African mahogany.  I've seen bubinga that looks like that too, but I'd have to have a closer look at the grain to decide.  The orangish boards under it might be padauk.

Take some better pictures and we might be able to figure it out.

Nice haul!

• Like 1

Unidentified stack:

Top right is wenge.  The board under the wenge looks like it could be bocote.

Top left looks like African mahogany.  I've seen bubinga that looks like that too, but I'd have to have a closer look at the grain to decide.  The orangish boards under it might be padauk.

Take some better pictures and we might be able to figure it out.

Nice haul!

Thanks, I was excited to get it all.  So a few of the pieces in that pile, I have identified, I just used the pictures that I had taken a week ago after I had built that lumber cart.  I'll get some updated pics of what I haven't fully identified and post a new thread.

Finally cleaned the garage up enough that its not too embarassing to show. Here is my current stash, nothing fancy:

6a8c91db8b806c2ffd0d2d58254320f9.jpg

L to R, red & white oak, walnut, pine, poplar, and mulberry. There's a leftover piece of WRC siding in front of the mulberry, and a 3x3 stick of cherry (I think) somewhere on the left. All CL finds, as I have yet to locate a local lumber yard that sells hardwood in anything less than flatbed truck loads.

• Like 1

So far I've only used to mulberry in small pieces for cutting boards. Has a golden-brown color that compliments walnut nicely. As for vertical storage, I try to keep the boards as near to 90* as possible, and so far there is no sign of bending or sagging. I saw David Marks give a tour through his lumber barn once, and most of his was vertical, so I guess it will do.