Bandsaw setup finally!

bushwacked

Well after a few months of being busy with work and a table project I finally got some time to fine tune my bandsaw.

After watching Alex snodgrasses video on bandsaws a few times I went to work.

2d14470f727f873967aec5d71f268a19.jpg

1f5a644cad1d72a2e76fe83f90ceaea4.jpg

Cut it and then placed it on the back perfectly.

then I tried a test cut ....

5ccd9f66fd4c862bba8fe826db0da883.jpg

24e450bdeb6a36202d2dcc6f1ffeb8aa.jpg

Now a couple questions ...

Where should the starting point of the tape go to get an accurate cut? Maybe a starting point and I can work my way from there?

6ee2c99f018417331715f8eaac742e15.jpg

Do I need this red plate? I took it off to setup everything.

61cb9f2fb41e064935d005ff6797ee19.jpg

Dust collection? That was only those 2 cuts. Thoughts on how to control the mess?

ec247cfcc4b0437a431bf4a19999635b.jpg

red plate looks like a blade guard to me bushwacked, should be on for  safety reasons, moves up and down when you change the depth of cut. don't have a tape on mine, i use a jig or piece of masking tape with pencil marks for repeat cuts, looks like a nice saw, use my jet 12 inch all the time but its a little small for some things i do

red plate looks like a blade guard to me bushwacked, should be on for safety reasons, moves up and down when you change the depth of cut. don't have a tape on mine, i use a jig or piece of masking tape with pencil marks for repeat cuts, looks like a nice saw, use my jet 12 inch all the time but its a little small for some things i do

Ok guess I'll reattach it in the morning.

I have the same saw and yes, it is a guard. Do you not a dc system to connect to the port. Those things do throw out some dust without one. My dc does a great job of keeping the dust at bay. Enjoy your new saw

No I don't have a DC setup in the apartment garage. I guess I can deal with it till I get the house and then setup proper dust collection then.

A shop vac will work for dust collection I have the same saw, until I got delta 760 I used my vac I reduced down with pvc plumbing made the final connection with a rubber plumbing boot worked well enough. Your going to be glad you attached the blade guard what treeslayer said.

That extension cord looks very light duty for the saw. You can burn up the motor if you're not careful. You should avoid using an extension cord if possible.

In my apartment shop I have one outlet in the back right so an extension cord is a must. Ya I think my cord is 16G?

If you have to use an extension cord use the heaviest gauge wire possible and the shortest cord that will reasonably work. 12/3 cords aren't cheap but new motors cost much more !

Ok I will grab a 12g cord. Didn't think there was that much difference in 16 to 12 and no that I know it will jack up motors I will be changing.

A 25 foot 12 gauge isn't very much and yup,,,,definitely replace the red blade guard. Congrats on the saw!!

Ok I will replace the guard. Thanks

Ya I will pick one up.

It's to capture a wing nut and, bolt for a second blade guard piece that comes with a riser block kit which is similar to the red guard  that is in the picture above except it has a slot that the wing nut and bolt can slide through so when your making a shallow cut with increased capacity because of the riser block you can move the extra guard piece up to cover the exposed blade above the original guard piece.

t25555-81f2566c8883b83c508aa77442675b03.

I've also just recently gotten my griz band saw up and running.

I've found myself using it more and more for quick down and dirty cuts.

I have noticed that the dc pretty doesn't really catch all that much. I get a bit of loose dust on the base base every time

==>You should avoid using an extension cord if possib

I really don't like extension cords… I typically remove the short service cord and wire-in a new service cord of sufficient gauge/length…I keep spools of SEOOW in a couple of configurations and a box of twist-lock NEMA plugs to build new cords for kit as it comes into the shop… I typically leave around a 12’ connection cord… SEOOW is a bit excessive – you could probably get STOW, SJTW, etc and save a bit...