Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet

TerryMcK

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 17 - Specialty spokeshave hangers
I have a couple of spokeshaves, Clifton 500 and 550, which are an unusual shape. They are normally used for to make concave or convex profiles - think the rear of guitar necks.
As they are so unusual in shape they needed hangers which were fit to their shapes. The concave shave was first.

The profile was traced onto a piece of walnut and two pieces were cut together on the bandsaw and oscillating sander. When separated they symmetrically formed a shoe to hold the shave in place. These pieces were glued to a backing board which was cut to size.
IMG_0030.JPG

Formed shoes glued onto a beech backer
IMG_0031-001.JPG

The backing board in between the shoes is cut away in a later operation

When the glue had setup the bracket was cut to size and mounted onto the inside face of the outer door. The rear of the shave could then touch the inside face of the door. I mounted a magnet into the door but ensured it was just slightly proud of the surface as the rear of the shave was not perfectly flat.

For the more unusually shaped convex shave I found that I could use the upper bracket of the convex shave to hold the blade in place. However this would mean cutting away the backing board resulting in two shoes.

The lower shoe was shaped and mounted underneath the spoke shave. Again a magnet was glued into place in a hole drilled into the inner face of the door.

The resulting arrangement couldn't have been better and has turned out better than anticipated.

IMG_0032.JPG

All four shaves are now in place. As can be seen the convex shave nestles into the bracket shoes holding the concave shave.

I have another few Stanley shaves but they are really awkward to fashion hangers for. I think I'll leave them in a drawer for now.
  • Like 1

So if the door is kinda shut hard with the spokeshaves will they stay in?

I'll bet with the magnets they do fine.  I'm sure you could slam them hard enough to toss em tho.  Terry will probably be thumping your backside if you do tho ;)

So if the door is kinda shut hard with the spokeshaves will they stay in?

Yes. The magnets are really strong considering their small size. They have a pull rate of 1.8 kg - that means they will support steel weights of 4 pounds. Obviously the shoe just stops the plane sliding when mounted in this orientation. But they really do have uncanny holding ability.

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 18 - A simple holder for a jewelers saw
I use a precision jewelers saw to cut out mother of pearl and abalone shell for inlaying items like guitar fretboards etc. As this is an expensive piece of equipment the shallow tray formed in the inner tray is an ideal place to store the tool.

I fabricated a simple hanger from some more scraps of walnut. Using some smaller rare earth magnets, this time 6mm diameter (1/4") x 1mm thick (0.04"), to secure the steel frame of the saw into place.

The hanging bracket was screwed into place and the saw has that satisfying "click" when the magnets engage when hung in place.

IMG_1504-001.jpg

Fabricated and shaped hanger. There are two small rare earth magnets glued in

IMG_1508-001.JPG

Jewelers saw hung in place.

The space inside the saw frame will be used to store a small engineers square.

IMG_0034.JPG

None of the hangers have yet been finished.
The application of a varnish will be done when I have completed as many hangers as I can. I will probably replace all the steel screws in the project with brass ones in time too.

Hopefully everybody hasn't fallen asleep yet on this build :)

• 2 weeks later...

I said that this cabinet is a long term job as it will take an age to finish it completely.

Anyway this time I show how I tackled fitting the three brass mallets I have.

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 20 - Mallet Hangers
I wanted the brass mallets to go into the cabinet but rather than the more traditional way of hanging hammers (side on) I still wanted to maximize the usage of space within the cabinet.
So the mallets were to be presented face on. That way I could get them side by side and not use up too much room.

First of all I measured each mallet and spaced them appropriately. Then I drilled holes and opened up slots using the bandsaw to allow them to be extracted. Then I glued this piece onto a cleat drilled with mounting holes. When hung in the cabinet I noticed the radius of the brass strikers was not sitting correctly in the slots at the front edge. So I ripped some 5/16" square walnut strips and glued them into position as shown. This then fully supports the brass hammer heads and still allows the handles to go into the slots - problem solved.

IMG_0062.JPG

The mallet hanger is mounted on the inner door
They just now need a little bit of sanding to make them look right before applying some finish.

IMG_0060.JPG

Brass mallets in position showing them fully supported. Apologies for the grainy pictures on these.

• Like 1

Wall mounted Plane and Tool Cabinet - Part 21 - Odd-Job Hanger

The Garrett Wade Odd-Job is a measuring device based upon the Stanley original according to their website  "Made from 1888 to the early 1930's, and rediscovered by Garrett Wade, the Odd-Job will provoke admiring glances (LOL really?? :D  :P ). It's an inside mitre and try square, a depth gauge, a scribing tool for arcs and circles, a T-square, a depth marking scribe (excellent for marking out mortises), a plumb level, and a rule. Made of solid brass and steel, and carefully machined on all sides. Hardwood Rules are brass-bound and graduated in inches and metric units." - their words not mine.

IMG_0092.JPG

The Odd-Job fitted with a 12" rule

Well I have one with 12" and 6" rules and use it constantly. It needed a place to rest as throwing it into a drawer is not good as it is liable to dings and scrapes. It is actually a precision instrument and, although intended to be kept in an apron pocket, does need protection.

The Odd-Job is a difficult device to hang as there are many protrusions, angles, screws and knobs to avoid. I came up with an idea to fabricate a hanger from scraps of walnut and shape it to fit the Odd-Job, provide support for it in the cabinet and also make it easy to extract.

Jigs and Fixtures - some of my personal history
When I was involved in engineering many years ago I designed tools, jigs and fixtures to hold component parts for the aerospace industry whilst an operation was carried out on it - drilling, welding, milling etc. To do this the component to be manufactured was drawn to scale - this was the old days when you drew on paper - and the jig/fixture was designed around it. You had to make sure that once the component was completed the fixture (or jig) could be unclamped from the component so you could get the component out! This was normally necessary when making welded components as the fixture had to hold many individual parts until they were welded making one complete component. There was nothing worse than finding out that once the component was welded you couldn't get it out of the fixture!

The Odd-Job fixture
I applied the principles and experience I had gained from my engineering days to designing the hanger (or fixture) for the Odd-Job,
As the Odd-Job has so many different faces/facets/bits sticking out I started first of all with the rear. The Odd-Job has a 90 degree rear that is canted over at 45 degrees and there is a space (due to the casting process) that was ideal for a 1/4" thick piece of scrap to engage and locate.
IMG_0091.JPG

The rear of the brass casting

I made a triangular piece with a large radius cut into the apex.

Then turning to the front of the Odd-Job I cut out two square sections of walnut and positioned them so they would support the horizontal lip on the the main body. I also cut out a thin strip of walnut that would act as a hanger preventing the whole lot from falling out of the fixture. Then using the actual Odd-Job as a template I simply glued the strips onto the triangular backing piece.

IMG_1515.JPG

Using the Odd-Job as a template

Once dried I removed the Odd-Job from the hanger and set about cutting the fabrication to size. This involved cutting bevels and chamfers on the fabrication so that when mounted on the inside door the rear panel would not prevent getting the Odd-Job in and out of the hanger. This is why I ended up with such a strange shape.

IMG_1516.JPG

The hanger before being shaped

Once it was complete a couple of screw holes were drilled and countersunk and the hanger was mounted into the shallow inner door. I also put a strip of walnut on the bottom face to hold to two 6" spare rules I have for the Odd-Job.

IMG_0090.JPG

Hanger in position. Note the chamfer on the underside of the hanger protrusion - you'll see why later on.

IMG_0033.JPG

Odd-Job hung on the shallow tray comprising the inner door.

IMG_0098.JPG

The chamfer on the hanger protrusion clears the clamping screw when lifting out.

IMG_0100.JPG

A scrap of walnut holds the 6" rules in place.

So if you are looking for an unusual, surprisingly accurate but, in my opinion, very useful addition to your tool collection then the Garrett Wade Odd-Job gets my vote.

Yes I have taken inspiration from the mighty Studley box but I haven't put any gothic features or pearl inlay into it - yet ....

...and never will. LOL

Solid work here, Terry.  I would expect nothing less from a drawbridge maker, bean baker, and Knight of the Round Table heart-breaker.

I'm into a tool cabinet build myself and I've picked up some nice tidbits from you here that I'll be using.  Thanks for the insanely detailed journal!

• Like 1

...and never will. LOL

Solid work here, Terry.  I would expect nothing less from a drawbridge maker, bean baker, and Knight of the Round Table heart-breaker.

I'm into a tool cabinet build myself and I've picked up some nice tidbits from you here that I'll be using.  Thanks for the insanely detailed journal!

Thanks Eric :). That was the intention to inspire and pass on tips I've learnt myself from doing this build.

I must get on with making some furniture now as the list is getting longer.