Poll: Mortising Tool

collinb

I use a HCM.  If I had a little more patience/skill/hand eye coordination I'd use a router.  You get cleaner mortises but the set up for repeatable cuts is fussy.  If I had more $$$ I'd get a domino.  

Ya know Mike...mortises on a plunge router is not that bad. You do need to fuss a little with a clamp and a block of wood for support. The key is to not hog the mortise out in one cut.  

Yes no cleaning out the mortise with a router bit cut. But the offset is rounding over the edge's of tenons. Damn if you do damn if ya don't. But I hear ya on the Domino!!!!!  :)

-Ace-

I have a Delta mortise attachment for my drill press.  I use it because that is what I have at this point in time.  The main reason I purchased it wasn't to necessarily make mortises, I was putting square spokes in the head and foot board of a set of bunk beds.  I didn't think I would ever use it beyond that point, that is why I didn't by a mortising machine at that time.   It is by no means anything more then OK.  It is a hassle to set up unless you are not going to use the drill press for anything else and you can leave it on.  I will get a mortiser at some point.

I would never put my drill press through that abuse.  As Terry said, it's not what they're designed to do.  If you really have to have square mortises, buck up for a HCM.  I don't mind doing my integral M&T's with router and table saw.  I bought a Domino to speed it up when I'm not in the mood.  People will disagree with me, but I think the Domino makes the HCM an obsolete tool.

I would never put my drill press through that abuse.  As Terry said, it's not what they're designed to do.  If you really have to have square mortises, buck up for a HCM.  I don't mind doing my integral M&T's with router and table saw.  I bought a Domino to speed it up when I'm not in the mood.  People will disagree with me, but I think the Domino makes the HCM an obsolete tool.

I think bench top HCM's and smaller units were obsolete before they ever came to market. Routers do a much better job and can easily be as or more accurate.

Seems like a weird workaround to turn a drill press into a multifunction tool.  Not sure I'd use it if it were given to me for free. 

It's also a really good way to damage your quill and mess up alignment. Go with a HCM if you need to do square holes. Plunge router with edge guide is a better option. You could always use a M&T jig like the Leigh Super FMT. Also, like everyone else said Domino.