NYW Console table in walnut

JohnDi

Took a lot of pics as I built so I thought I would share. Always admired the build threads so here goes:

Glued up the boards for the top. Found walnut with some crazy figure and found 2 boards I could "book match" and decided that they would be in the wide part of the field

453841e6f4e8790fdcb55011812013cb_zpsd2d5

I used biscuits to align the top of the boards and thought it through (I thought) so that when I cut the top they wouldn't be anywhere near the cut.

After seeing the glue up, I decided to change what grain pattern I wanted for the main part of the top. Here's where those darn biscuits completely left my brain. I built a circle cutting jig for the BS and practiced the radius on on old plastic cutting board.

E04E12ED-C911-4A98-9288-6927BA28ACCB_zps

SUCESS!

Now on to the top. Nerve racking since I had never used it on wood, and didn't want to ruin it.

Since I cut the radius from the opposite side of the board, I FOUND THE BISCUITS!

F8254409-E000-41B0-B0E3-611F14BA3475_zps

Almost derailed the whole build. In the past this would have given me project paralysis. After a day of calming down and thinking it through, I glued another board to the long side of the top and re-cut the radius.

My first time with bent lamination too. Learned tons on this project. Started by slicing the rails on the BS to about 3/16. Learned a lot about setting up the BS for straight vertical cuts too!

3EB77A96-5603-4FF4-B0BA-4A0F05D355D9_zps

Made my first bending form and realized I could use some 12" parallel clamps. Oh well gotta go with what you got.

cdc04ee8ddb8b78ef8b6f6ba37b4c7a3_zpsd2b0

Curved rails. Really exciting when they came off the form.

c21ccc7d562503cb82264610f0cb7eaf_zpsd582

123e20bbf4ddadf3967190f28bedcbaa_zps1f5a

After jointing one edge and cutting to 3" on the TS and jointing the sawn side they met the top for the first time.

eded64de5d4e84d1e343c140b85b9429_zps5elk

Norms plans called for a thinner curved rail with a rounded over piece cut to the same radius and attached to the bottom of the rail. I made the rails wider and put a bead on both the top and bottom of the rails.

Also have always liked the look of rosettes. Decided to put a rosette at the top of each leg.

ad6ac8dbf7eb9310767f60ae8dceb39a_zpsneqm

This is where I'm at. Need to break the edges on the legs and do a final sanding before glue up and finish.

Going with arm-r-seal satin

49b2165aab6797dde83bc086c1a0f995_zpsdw1n

The joints between the rails and the legs is mortise and tenon. I made the rails extra long anticipating some trial and error, and man that was a life saver. Found out quickly just how good norm is.

Ended up having to hand cut the tenons. Finding the angle for the tenons was a real PITA. But I learned a lot about layout and sawing to a line. also that I need to either have my saws sharpened or buy a good tenon saw.

Lots of firsts for me on this one. Learned how to (almost) use a spokeshave to refine the legs off the bandsaw. My HCM handle snapped the roll pin cutting the next to last mortise and I had to hand cut the last mortise by hand. I have immense respect for the hand tool guys.

When I break it down to sand I'll post a few pics of the tenons.