corded vs cordless

Chewie17

looking for opinions on something (feel free to let me know if this should be under the shop topic)

but corded or cordless for a shop setting? I feel like I would like to go cordless for the shop but have some corded. im looking into the Makita line for cordless 18v and I have some bosch 12v I was thinking of the 12v bosch jigsaw and everything else was going to be Makita as in plate joiner, 3 1/2" planer, the touted 10" sliding mitre saw 18x2 and the brushless top handle jigsaw. I already have a dewalt corded mitre saw so that isn't on the very top of the list. however I do want to hear some feedback on how you guys like to run the shop?

Cordless for drill and driver. Everything else I own is corded, and I like it that way. Keeping a plethora of batteries charges is too much hassle.

I don't feel it would be a hassle really. I mean you normally buy 2 kits to start the collection of a battery platform to get the 2 chargers then just add extra batteries with spare money... so with 2 chargers its easy to keep batteries in rotation.

I just find myself using too many extension cords since the shop I work in is a garage and has plugs only on one wall really. so to set up the shop in a good layout I trip over cords. that's why I hate cords right now

I have cordless drill (x2), driver, cirx saw, and radio.  That's all I really need in the cordless realm.  Spend the time and wire your shop to avoid extension cord use.  Extension cords are typically bad for your machines, and are just a general PITA.

I hate using cords but I have to 95% of the time. I can't wire the garage since I don't have the time or money or patience. I don't use the garage that often yet. Still working my way into custom carpentry so the projects are few and far between Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

I have never had a battery last longer than 5-7 years, and for some of my older cordless drills the best option was to scrap the tool rather than incur the expense of rebuilding batteries.

On the other hand, I have several quality corded tools (routers, circular saws, jigsaws, etc) that I bought new 10-20 years ago that still work great and show no signs of wearing out soon. If they were cordless I would be on my second or third set of batteries.

The only WORKING cordless power tools I own are drills and drivers (I have a circular saw on the shelf that needs a new battery)

BTW - on a side note, the same problem exists with electric cars. As they age and go through charging cycles the batteries start to lose their potency. It will be interesting to see what happens when people realize that after 10 years their car will need a new $5,000+ battery to keep running. I guess on the upside, the scrap value of a car with a huge battery is higher than the scrap value of a car with a gasoline motor so they can just throw it away and go get a new one

BTW - on a side note, the same problem exists with electric cars. As they age and go through charging cycles the batteries start to lose their potency. It will be interesting to see what happens when people realize that after 10 years their car will need a new $5,000+ battery to keep running.

I drive a 20 year old beater, but I know a lot of people who get a new car every 10 years or less.  Or lease.  Makes no sense to me.

You need to think about how much power is required to perform the given tasks. A drill or driver doesn't require that much power, a circular or reciprocating saw requires a lot. For something like a circular saw, you can easily drain an 18v battery faster than you can charge one.

Festool uses 2 18v batteries, and one contractor I know says they are still only good for sheet goods.

My cordless tools are drill, impact driver, jig saw, brad nailer and angle grinder.  Even though charging / maintaining batteries is annoying, I still find them more convenient than dealing with cords and extension cords.

All my chargers are kept together and ready to use. I even installed a switch to cut the power when they're not in use (I hate to see them blinking leds when they are standing idle...).

The cordless tools are just like the corded now anyhow. After a few years they break down and youre better off buying a newer version. So its a toss up either way Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

remind me not to loan you any of my tools :)

In a hobby shop, a quality brand name corded router, jig saw, circular saw, etc should last for a lot longer than the expected lifetime of a battery. A full-time cabinet shop may wear out a Porter Cable router in a year, but it will last 15-20 years in my shop

I use the ridgid x4 cordless circ saw, and with a 2amp hour battery, I can rip 4 sheets of ply and still have some power left.

I have also made 12 cross cuts in 6" 5/4 maple and didn't drain the battery completely.

I am not a ridgid fan boy, but their batteries are lifetime repair/replacement

• Like 1

First of all, I was only looking at cordless; drills/impacts, jigsaw, planer (the odd use), plate joiner (biscuits for the odd use), and the mitre saw from Makita.

I know the mitre saw will require a lot of battery power for multiple cuts however I have a mitre saw already so the cordless one would be for the one off cuts that I only need a few times a day.

I would in fact try to get all brushless tools and have multiple 4.0Ah+ batteries. Makita has 6.0Ah I believe now so they last a very long time and even Milwaukee is coming out with 9.0Ah batteries which are incredible. so if Milwaukee comes out with a fuel 10" sliding mitre saw than the 9.0Ah batteries will last forever.

I drive a 20 year old beater, but I know a lot of people who get a new car every 10 years or less.  Or lease.  Makes no sense to me.

I average 3-5 years on new cars. Something about a nice new shiny car with a fat bumper to bumper warranty.

I figure for a $100 cordless drill, if it last 5 years, I'm super happy. If I bought a Festool drill - it better last 10 years at least. 

I can't remember the last time I used a small, tailed drill.  Cordless impact drivers changed the world.  I also have a few other cordless tools that use the same batteries as the drill and driver, but only because each was a deal too good to pass up. 

If tools are going to be sitting in one place most of the time, why bother to worry with batteries?

I can't remember the last time I used a small, tailed drill.  Cordless impact drivers changed the world.  I also have a few other cordless tools that use the same batteries as the drill and driver, but only because each was a deal too good to pass up. 

If tools are going to be sitting in one place most of the time, why bother to worry with batteries?

the tools will be in a shop, however they may be used in different places around the shop. how many times has it been said its easier to bring the tool to the work piece than the work piece to the tool? that and I hate cords

looking for opinions on something (feel free to let me know if this should be under the shop topic)

but corded or cordless for a shop setting? I feel like I would like to go cordless for the shop...

... however I do want to hear some feedback on how you guys like to run the shop?

You asked so don't get annoyed. Drill and driver are my only battery tools. This saves me $50-75 per tool. The cash rules that discussion. That is how I run my shop. Cords are reality. 

You asked so don't get annoyed. Drill and driver are my only battery tools. This saves me $50-75 per tool. The cash rules that discussion. That is how I run my shop. Cords are reality. 

Everyone has their way to run a shop right? It seems like everyone is on the side of cords and I guess if the shop is set up right then cords aren't as big an issue. Now if I were to say I do contracting and find myself struggling to find a plug on the outside of some older homes and use a mitre saw and planer often on site I would like cordless for that option as well it might lighten the blow as to why I like cordless Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk