Black Friday Money Blowing Bonanza!

Eric.

Well, I've held off until now, but I had to pick up some new tools to add to the repertoire, and the damage was...substantial. Here's what'll be coming into the shop this year-

Lie-Nielsen Dovetail Saw
A good marking knife
Some much needed saw files
An actually straight straight edge
Veritas router plane and some various sized irons
Verital scraping plane
and finally a decent flush cut saw (last one broke off the handle and has to be used without one)

• Like 1

Did you get the Powermatic or the Grizzly?

5672cac9b74727759e8ef48cface0ec0.jpg

polar_bear_silhouette_pillow_case.jpg

More like "Old in the closet brand"

I can add all my cabinet hardware, some locating jigs, and a 4 pack of jet clamps to my purchases.  Along with a Bosch variable speed orbital sander over the weekend.  I need to quit spending money now.  Someone take my debit card away. 

Naa, just keep going until it's clear that a significant other is going to take your life away.

Until HHH comes on here and says that a 300 thread count pillow case equals .5 micron, I'm gonna say this has to be on the list of the silliest things I've read on this forum. 

Well, luckily mine are 800. But I think that they cheat a little. It's 400 thread count 2-ply. But regardless.. The hose runs to the pillow case, the pillow case is outside in the driveway and I'm wearing a respirator. So I'd challenge anyone in the universe to say this is a worse solution than just letting the planer fire stuff out the side into the middle of my space.

We all gotta do whatever we can to make it work until it's time to get the correct stuff. I figure :)

More like "Old in the closet brand"

Naa, just keep going until it's clear that a significant other is going to take your life away.

Well, luckily mine are 800. But I think that they cheat a little. It's 400 thread count 2-ply. But regardless.. The hose runs to the pillow case, the pillow case is outside in the driveway and I'm wearing a respirator. So I'd challenge anyone in the universe to say this is a worse solution than just letting the planer fire stuff out the side into the middle of my space.

We all gotta do whatever we can to make it work until it's time to get the correct stuff. I figure :)

I think people are just confused man.  By your own admission you've spent close to $10k this year on woodworking equipment.  Was there not $200 in there budgeted for a Harbor Freight dust collector?

I think I am getting a grasp on your humor now. You must be joking, which is the only rational explanation to this. If not, then the department stores are really missing out! 

In fact, on this very thread you've got the Dewalt planer stand.  I just don't understand why on God's green earth you would spend $150 on a planer stand and then use a pillow case as a dust collector.  Throw an extra $50 in there, get the HF dust collector, put your planer on a table (or the floor!), and breathe easier.

Planer stand, Wixley digital gauge - these are things you buy AFTER you have the basics.  Not things you indulge in when you're pulling linens out of the dryer and using them for critical shop functions.

• Like 2

Seriously. Who the hell cares what I do?

If I removed the pillow case, it would be dumping into the driveway ten feet away. The pillow case doesn't matter. It's an anti-annoyed-wife device. The point is, the chips are ejected by a pretty good fan and being caught then go ten feet away - outdoors - while I am wearing a respirator - indoors.

Seriously. Who the hell cares what I do?

If I removed the pillow case, it would be dumping into the driveway ten feet away. The pillow case doesn't matter. It's an anti-annoyed-wife device. The point is, the chips are ejected by a pretty good fan and being caught then go ten feet away - outdoors - while I am wearing a respirator - indoors.

Honestly, I do. And not for the reason you may think.

It is not a safe environment Cliff. Respirator or not. There is a right (safe) way to do things, and this is not one of them bud. The HF DC was suggested, and it is a great unit for $200. I have the same unit, and works well for my shop.

Don't take it to heart, it's really meant to help you. The intent may be lost, but if some of us didn't care we'd just laugh and not say anything. You have admitted that you are learning, so take the advice instead of battling it or taking offense. Be safe Cliff. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I do. And not for the reason you may think.

It is not a safe environment Cliff. Respirator or not. There is a right (safe) way to do things, and this is not one of them bud. The HF DC was suggested, and it is a great unit for $200. I have the same unit, and works well for my shop.

Don't take it to heart, it's really meant to help you. The intent may be lost, but if some of us didn't care we'd just laugh and not say anything. You have admitted that you are learning, so take the advice instead of battling it or taking offense. Be safe Cliff. 

Devil's Advocate: What safety concern is there if 1) He is wearing a respirator, which will protect his lungs better than any DC unit out there and 2) he is using the pilowcase (which, let's face it, is about the same technology on the backs of ROS and cheap miter saws) not for fine dust collection but for bulk chip collection? If this is taking place outside of his shop, what is the immediate danger?

I want to understand the safety concerns associated with this. I can understand the problem with fine dust within a closed shop...but outdoors with a respirator?

• Like 1

==>Until HHH comes on here and says that a 300 thread count pillow case equals .5 micron

Well, now that you mention it...  :)

I find my ears burning on several threads... I know I'm king of arcane knowledge, but that's just the result of a convoluted educational and employment history... And for the record, my planer was not $50K... Maybe the planer and jointer, but not the planer alone...

:)

• Like 1

Devil's Advocate: ...

I think you made the point for me... The pillow case is on one machine, his planer... happens to have a fan that blows some of the stuff into the pillowcase. What about the table saw, bandsaw, SCMS, jointer.... All of these items will benefit from proper DC. And like you said, the pillow case is just like the little bag that comes on cheap sanders. It's just enough to make you feel like you have some protection, when in fact you do not. At least, not to the degree you need it. A dust mask should be worn in addition to having proper DC. 

• Like 1

I haven't fully caught up with this thread, but I just saw on Amazon that as part of their Cyber Monday deals they are doing something with the Fuji Semi-Pro HVLP sprayer here in a couple of hours. Figured I would post it here since there's a lot of activity in the thread and someone might be interested in getting a discount on jumping into HVLP. The website says the deal is starting at 2:40 for Prime members.

Edit: Assuming 2:40pm AK time. Double check the timing for your zone and all that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4NPMJE/ref=gb1h_img_m-3_4282_f4a24eb1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=0EHGD1VWASCDWKZB9N8A&pf_rd_i=760330&pf_rd_p=2287754282

Edited by jerkface42one
Noting Time Zone

I think you made the point for me... The pillow case is on one machine, his planer... happens to have a fan that blows some of the stuff into the pillowcase. What about the table saw, bandsaw, SCMS, jointer.... All of these items will benefit from proper DC. And like you said, the pillow case is just like the little bag that comes on cheap sanders. It's just enough to make you feel like you have some protection, when in fact you do not. At least, not to the degree you need it. A dust mask should be worn in addition to having proper DC. 

This may help you understand where I got where I am.. I only have two machines with a 4" dust port. Both of which I got in the last month or so (starting with Eric's jointer.) I have a shop vac with a bag, and one of those little cyclones for everything else. Even my table saw is a 2.5" port.

I don't have a bandsaw, drill press, drum sander, etc. I joint in the driveway. The motor is coming off the jointer this week to go to get tuned up and bearings replaced. So I won't be jointing for a while. I'm coming up on winter, with my shop not completely winterized (didn't get a ceiling up with insulation, great sadness,) so it might be too cold to be out there soon. I may very well be out of commission until late February. In that time, I should be able to buy a dust collector in cash, or pay off the Home Depot card that has the planer stand/new router on it and buy a dust collector there.

Meanwhile, if the planer has a nice fan that ejects the chips, and I'm connected with a 10' dust collection hose that runs to a 2' pvc, and it's all pretty secure and it goes outside while I wear a mask - I just don't feel like that machine is a danger to me. It's obviously something I want to rectify though - I'm not an idiot. Though it's worth pointing out I got the idea of the pillow case from a very popular online woodworker. I imagine his justification was much the same as mine.

The #1 reason I haven't bought the HF DC is that I didn't really need it until recently, and I want a better one. I am looking at either a Jet or a Grizzly. If I hadn't went from 2 routers to 0 in the past two weeks, I'd have bought a Jet dust collector instead of the router and planer stand. And really the planer stand was just convenient. I don't like using my table saw to put machines on then I have to put it back on the floor because I don't trust the HF stand I got (wobbly as shit, horrid thing.)

Ok, and that makes sense in the context of leveraging dust collection for all shop tools and not just the planer - thanks.

I will bail Cliff out, a little bit.  The blower on a 735 is powerful.  In fact, I often hook it up to my DC and don't even bother to turn the DC on.   A .5 micron bag at the end of a house is probably

Yep, the blower does shoot it out with some gusto that's for sure.

Ok, everyone go back to spending more money!

Didn't mean for that to be the message. Glad you are looking up a proper DC.

Back to spending, I'm not buying anything! 

I gotta be honest, I bit off way more than I could chew with my current project. It forced me into trying to buy an entire shop at once. And as wacky as my path is - I still could have gotten a DC this month if it weren't for that $120 speeding ticket a few nights ago...

I gotta be honest, I bit off way more than I could chew with my current project. It forced me into trying to buy an entire shop at once. And as wacky as my path is - I still could have gotten a DC this month if it weren't for that $120 speeding ticket a few nights ago...

Lesson learned, don't speed, and you get more tools, instead of buying the government lunch. 

• Like 2

I haven't fully caught up with this thread, but I just saw on Amazon that as part of their Cyber Monday deals they are doing something with the Fuji Semi-Pro HVLP sprayer here in a couple of hours. Figured I would post it here since there's a lot of activity in the thread and someone might be interested in getting a discount on jumping into HVLP. The website says the deal is starting at 2:40 for Prime members.

Edit: Assuming 2:40pm AK time. Double check the timing for your zone and all that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4NPMJE/ref=gb1h_img_m-3_4282_f4a24eb1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=0EHGD1VWASCDWKZB9N8A&pf_rd_i=760330&pf_rd_p=2287754282

Yep showed up at 6:40 my time and immediately was unavailable...