Black Friday Money Blowing Bonanza!

Eric.

Yeah, I got a 735X a few weeks ago and have worked all weekend trying to convert a trash can into a debris collection container. Nothing has worked to my satisfaction so I said screw it, I couldn't let you guys have all the fun.

I put a pillow case on the end of a hose. Amazingly effective. 

Yea Ross, when you live in places like your your neck of the woods it seems they leave a little space between neighbors, out here in California they have us packed in so tight that you can't swing a dead cat with out hitting the side of your neighbor's house, car or their dead cat.  So we can't aim anything out of the shop door.

Probably. If you search hard enough. if your goal is to not plaster the entire inside of your shop with sawdust then a pillow case is for you.

Cliff, I appreciate your ingenuity, but I have been "getting by" for a long time and have decided to start fulfilling my dream of having a proper shop. I'll probably never have a nice stand alone shop but I'm going to make the best of what I do have. Thanks for the info though.

Cliff, I appreciate your ingenuity, but I have been "getting by" for a long time and have decided to start fulfilling my dream of having a proper shop. I'll probably never have a nice stand alone shop but I'm going to make the best of what I do have. Thanks for the info though.

Oh sorry man, by no means do I think it's a great solution. It's just what I have until I get a dust collector. I hope to make that the next thing I pick up. Same boat as you were, I just had to choose between a dust collector and a router cause mine were dead. 

My first jointer was a Craftsman 6.25" bench top jointer. It came with a 45 degree elbow that had a mesh bag, kind of like a leaf blower vacuum bag. On the other side it had a webbed strap that you put around the top of a 5 gallon bucket. The chips went into the bucket, the bag acted as a vented tube to allow the fan assisted extraction to work.

Alright, one more tool gloat and then I am done...

Decided I was going to put the nail in the storage coffin once-and-for all and bought another workbench/tool cart. No more cluttered garage excuses anymore. The Mrs. actually suggested the idea, so that's always a plus. Bought the rust protective liners for the drawers and I am off the to races.

94c69bbc-2e70-4ddf-b69d-68750c1f6bbf_400

...annnnnnnnd with Cyber Monday for Veritas, I conclude my spending spree...

05p3801s1a.jpg

Factory 2nd Router plane; scored a fence for it as well.

10s0961s1.jpg

Set of 4 Narex chisels, plus a 3/8" because it seems to be fairly popular as well.

05N7001s3.jpg

Dual marking gauge with the clamp.

Also picked up some leather strop material and honing compound to round it all off.

In the words of Porky Pig, "That's all folks!"

==>my electrician put a 30 amp breaker for the planer. By code here he was not allowed to put a 40

You're electrician was right -- NEC specifies 40a and up to be on a disconnect.

Around here (and I suspect most places), Shop DC is considered a dedicated load. You can do a 40a, but it should also be on a disconnect. My inspector let it slide because it was a dedicated branch and end-run to the panel.. But technically, he could have required my to install a disconnect at the DC... However, on the big tools, he did require a disconnect (about $175 each).

You should always follow what's on the motor's plate. IN GENERAL: 3HP can be run on a 30a branch no problem... The owner's manual usually specify one-up (need 30, specify 40) to cover surge. Since most motors have thermal protection and magnetic starters typically incorporate CI, the tool's protection is not the breaker... The breaker is there to protect the branch wiring.

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1

==>my electrician put a 30 amp breaker for the planer. By code here he was not allowed to put a 40

You're electrician was right -- NEC specifies 40a and up to be on a disconnect.... However, on the big tools, he did require a disconnect (about $175 each).

What do you mean by "on a disconnect"?  Could you explain that when you get a chance?

==>What do you mean by "on a disconnect"?

With the caveat that I'm not a licensed electrician (used to design this sh*t, not use it)... YMMV

There is a rather large and somewhat confusing section of the NEC that covers requirements for safety disconnects...

Which NEC section you apply for your application is determined by voltage, amperage, environment, load type and some other stuff that I forget. I believe 430 is most applicable here, but I haven't looked at an NEC in years... Fortunately (or not) the relevant sections are subject to a fairly wide level of local interpretation...

The idea is that large loads (dangerous) should have a safety 'switch' (disconnect) between the branch breaker and the load. The reasons for this are varied (folks know that if you sharply 'bang' the side of a turned-off table saw's magnetic switch, it can turn-on, right???). The safety switch should be located near the load... This allows a service technician to work on the unit's controls and not worry that someone in the electric closet notices an open breaker and decided to throw it...

Big note here: While a disconnect may look like a switch, it isn't... It's a different animal.

There is no 'woodworking' section of the NEC, so most inspectors apply the 'electric motor' paragraphs... Note: there are more restrictive paragraphs that some inspectors apply for home shops -- like I said, subject to interpretation... Above a certain amperage, you must have a disconnect. Above another threshold, the load must be hard-wired (no plugs) on a dedicated branch. If memory serves, on a 220 branch, 40a and 60a, respectively...

Around my shop, the AC compressors are 60a (dedicated, end-run and disconnect), WB-sander is 60a (same), Jointer and Planer are 40a, (same) and the rest are 30a (plugs allowed)... The DC is a dedicated end-run branch without disconnect. This is because shop DC is considered a 'constant load' and covered by another section of 430. Note: some kit is single phase and some three phase...

Basically, if you Google 'motor disconnect', you get the idea: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDF72XC?keywords=motor disconnect&qid=1448898693&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Note: 3p Euro gear is usually delivered with an integral disconnect (for that price, it should be) :) The disconnect is on a separate panel from the MS/CI, but still close together. I don't trust this arrangement and throw the breaker anyway...

BTW: most of you already have a load disconnect at your home's AC compressor (small box mounted to the side of your home near the compressor). The technician pulls the disconnect, then works on the AC unit. This will typically be a fuse-type and not switch-type disconnect.

Do you need to worry about any of this? Well, I'm not going to explore the merits of forgoing an electrical inspection for your shop... All I will say is that if your house burns down, you'd better hope it isn't caused by your un-inspected DIY wiring... Chances are, the adjuster will make you really regret not hiring an electrician and following code...

Hope that helps...

BTW: if your wiring your shop for 40a+ branches, I'd hire an electrician... There are more requirements around the big stuff and an electrician will pay for him/herself...

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1