Berkey Table - completed

rodger.

Got the top cut to final size, using the table saw to rip, and a miter jig to crosscut.

Then I layed out the arc using a compass, and a cut off from the table.  The arc is 8" across, and 2" at its peak.

56baaf096de2a_17-layingoutthearc.thumb.j

Then I cut close to my line with a jigsaw, and cleaned it up with the spindle sander.  I finished sanded it up to 220.

56baaf4ab6a1e_18-cleningthearc.thumb.jpg

Then, I scraped and sanded the top to get it ready for finish.  Here it is, with only some small clean up left to go before applying finish.  Face and edges were sanded to 220, and end grain up to 400.  I simply broke the edges with sandpaper and a block, keeping a modern feel (to be similar to the exiting kitchen counter top).

56baaf8803e3b_19-preptop.thumb.jpg.266c6

Up next will be finish.  Finish will be 4 or 5 coats of Min-wax Wipe on Poly in a satin finish.  This will be followed up with some wax and steel wool after the finish has had a while to harden up.

I can understand filtering out chlorine, heavy metals, organic's etc but why filter out fluoride  ? Isn't that trace amounts for your teeth ?

Because it is a neurotoxin and has no place in the water supply. Many places in the world don't fluoridate anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Table is looking awesome. Your moving right along.

It seems a little vague the effects of fluoride. Some of the controversy was people being upset with getting a "medical" treatment that they didn't consent. The medical industry loves it as does the CDC. You probably ingest more fluoride brushing your teeth than you get from water (1.5ppm vs 1500ppm) respectively. If ya got clean teeth ya don't need it in your water. I work side by side with the guys that design your water treatment plants and they get REALLY passionate about this stuff.

Small problem detected tonight - some pigtails!  Ack!  I either have been running the suction too high on my vac, or the paper is too worn.  I'll switch both and re-sand.  It's located to one spot, so shouldn't be too difficult to remove.

I thought I would also take this opportunity to epoxy fill some small pits that I had considered "on the border line" for filling.  Since I need to scrape and re sand some spots anyways, I figured I might as well just fill them.

Two spots are pits that I can just get the corner of a scraper in, but there is a void for sure.  The third is actually a dent from bench rash I think, but just too deep to sand out.  Luckily, it will be directly under the Berkey, but I figured I would fill it anyways.

Normally I tint the epoxy with a dark brown or black dye, but I "let it be" this time.  The knots are so small that I don't think dye is needed.

56bbd67667fa6_20-epoxyknots.jpg.17e920ff

56bbd68ba616c_21-epoxypit.jpg.7e0d9a2209

Tomorrow will be scrape and re-sand the top (*sigh*), and then onto finish.

• Like 2

Pigtails = swirly scratch marks left by gremlins that come into your shop after dark, just to mess with you.

Thanks! So it's basically the small circular pattern scratched in by too much pressure on a random orbital sander? I have gotten that before, didn't realize that's what it was called.

I have several of those architects adjustable lamps around the shop so we can adjust them for raking light during sanding and finishing. LED spotlight bulbs  give me bright light without the heat and they have lasted much longer than the fluorescent curly tube bulbs . Only drawback is the weight (due to the heat sink ) , I had to replace several of the springs with stronger ones. My local hardware store had a pretty good selection.

Yeah I don't think you NEED to wait 30 days to polish varnish.  I've done it the day after the final coat, believe it or not.  It's probably better to wait but it's not like you're actually rubbing out and changing sheen, which does require a very hard, cured finish...you're just knocking the nibs down and smoothing things out.  Use mineral oil/mineral spirits 50/50 mix and a 1000 or 2000 grit Platin pad.

Nice little table there, Pug.  I'd also like to see it with the Berkey in use.  Does the Berkey come standards with the minerals or is that an upgrade?  I took a quick look on their site but I didn't even see it mentioned.  I might get one of these myself.  Thanks for bringing them to my attention!