TV / Game Cabinet

wtnhighlander

H3nry, this white pine is so soft that hand tools are actually a pleasure to use, so long as they are super sharp. Anything less than a very fine edge just mushes the fibers and makes a mess. Since I have a large collection of relatively inexpensive chisels, I took a hint from Rob Cosman, and ground one to a 17* bevel. Made a huge difference in the soft wood!

Is there a 1/2 off sale on black Friday? :wacko:

It's looking good Ross.  You have to come up with a sales pitch on the milk paint so she thinks it was her idea.

I think I can swing it with the argument that milk paint penetrates, so light scratches won't show easily, and that the powder can be mixed for more shades of color. This one is supposed to be gray, how many shades do you think we can get? ?

• Like 1

Now that the case is done, on to the doors! First I need some panels, so back to hand resawing. And here is the result.

0d5a8e2daf5ce7929df7d0dc56cafd56.jpg

I learned that once a guide kerf is established around the board, the result is best when the saw travels entirely across the width, rather than coming in from the corners. On the left set, I did this, and also cut from one end only, until I couldn't clamp it in the vice. The result is a much cleaner panel.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Resawn panels, planed to thickness by hand.

e3393652c4740a1426bbc73efa22db84.jpg

ef89e053a5b55deec02ba072e8189957.jpg

By 5:30 am, I was dripping more sweat onto the wood than I could plane away. Time to call it a day.

How does one hand plane to thickness? Just because they are all flat on the bench you can feel the difference? Or are you using calipers and such? I feel like if I tried this it would be anything but flat!

Calipers, and a lot of checking. Helps that these started as S4S boards. Mark thickness from the flat side, all around. On the rough side, plane a chamfer to meet that mark, then plane flat until the board is smooth and the chamfer gone. Helps if your allowable tolerance is in 32nds, not thou.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Call for opinions: The case sides have 2 panels each. The doors are about 2/3 the cabinet height, so using 2 panels on the doors leaves the center rail offset from the case side panel rails, and pretty small panels. An option is to use a single panel for each door, which might look too tall & skinny. My "customer's" opinion will outweigh ALL of yours, but I'm interested in your reasoning, one way or the other.

I don't know if i fully understand what your asking. The doors look like they are going to be close to square which makes me want to so put 2 panels in them to help make them look skinnier and taller. I'd have to sketch it out to know for sure though.