TV / Game Cabinet

wtnhighlander

good idea on the jig for the buttons Ross, i make them by the bag full from my scrap bin, whatever species is available so i don't have to make them when i'm in the middle of a project, i usually cut a 1/4" wide X 1/4" deep groove 1/4" down from the top of the apron on the table saw before assembly so i can place the buttons wherever i want,  looking great, and the "apprentice" is a bonus

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Painting underway!

052399b8402b76a6d04e20257d86f4a0.jpg

And no, I have no spray rig, so this is brushed. No comments on my lousy application, please.

Most of my projects are painted, so you won't catch any flak from me :)

Home Depot sells a two-gun spray kit with 4 cups (2x of each size) for about $80. I bought one of these a couple of years ago and for small jobs like this, it works great. Also, if you want an absolutely smooth surface for painting, I love Duralaq (waterborne Lenmore product, bought by Benjamin Moore). It's a high-build undercoater that fills in the grain and sands to a beautifully smooth finish. If you take your time, and with 2 coats, you can get a glass-like finish with this stuff. Just wear a respirator when you sand it.

-E

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Painting underway!

052399b8402b76a6d04e20257d86f4a0.jpg

I think the color will look good under the walnut top. I wish I had enough space to lay out all the parts at once, this is stretching my patience thin.

And no, I have no spray rig, so this is brushed. No comments on my lousy application, please. emoji12.png

I like the colour, Ross and i agree it will look good under the walnut top. 

Painting continues. There are just not enough horizontal surfaces to lay everything out. I didn't think about how many pieces this thing has, but not counting hardware, there are 27 components (if I counted right) to deal with.

0768db432736ff43cf3ac90bdcb3d49c.jpg

Here's a "glamor shot" of the walnut top with wet finish on it.

9ee55bafbbe9f5d08418961a00a89415.jpg

Those of you with more finishing experience than I (meaning most of you), can you offer advice on smoothing the brush marks? This paint is not leveling as well as I hoped, but I'm pretty inexperienced with paint that isn't on walls.

The paint is a latex base, and very thick. After drying, is it safe to sand it a bit, before adding a second coat? And what brush technique works best for getting the smoothest finish?

• Like 1