TV / Game Cabinet

wtnhighlander

How long do you get in the mornings to work in the shop?

Looking great!

Kev, I get up at 4:45 am, and have from 5:00 to 5:30 as "me time". I usually take that time for exercise to keep my back from falling apart, but when a project is active, I'll trade 2 or 3 workouts each week for sawdust. Right now, mornings are the only time cool enough to take it.

Looking good Ross. You're almost there.

Have you selected your paint color yet?

Thanks, Dave. My lovely wife is the color picker, last I heard she was leaning toward 'whale gray'. Sort of a bluish-charcoal color, should go well with a walnut top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Kev, I get up at 4:45 am, and have from 5:00 to 5:30 as "me time". I usually take that time for exercise to keep my back from falling apart, but when a project is active, I'll trade 2 or 3 workouts each week for sawdust. Right now, mornings are the only time cool enough to take it.

Thanks, Dave. My lovely wife is the color picker, last I heard she was leaning toward 'whale gray'. Sort of a bluish-charcoal color, should go well with a walnut top.

It takes me that long to get the first cup down and the first section of the newspaper read while sitting on ....... well, you know. Something I needed to share with someone.

• Like 2

Well, a half-hour is a lot longer than I got today ... no alarm, I was almost late for work. Fortunately, I am easily awakened by light in the room, so the bit of sunshine leaking around the windowshade around 5:40 prompted me to open my eyes. Had it been a rainy morning, I'd still be in bed.

nice progress Ross looks great, i've had the same issue with those grooves and filled them like you did, i would have bothered me  also and its an easy fix and the right thing to do. i have a love-hate relationship with hardware, i love it because it means I'm getting to the end and hate it because its my last chance to screw something up

• Like 2

On July 7, 2016 at 3:56 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Fortunately, I am easily awakened by light in the room

I have the same trait, some times it is a gift and some times a curse because no matter what time I go to bed I am up with the sun.

This is great looking Ross,  I think the door proportions came out nice.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I still have to figure out the hinges. I think the euro hinges will work if I add blocking inside the face frame, but that will interfere with the adjustable shelf. Might go with leaf hinges after all.

The case is looking good, Ross. I have used the euro jingles, but find they loosen up over time and have to be fiddled with. With leaf hinges, you do the work once and you are done. Plus they are almost invisible inside or outside of the cabinet. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

So, leaf hinges, it is!

I needed hardware with a dark finish, like the 'oil-rubbed bronze' stuff at the typical big box stores. However, none of my local hardware places carry simple leaf hinges in anything but bright brass, or zinc coated steel. Rather than search online and wait for an order, I bought some brass ones, and 'rolled my own'.

First off, these things are clear-coated to prevent tarnishing. Since tarnish is what I wanted, the clear coat has to go. Previous research indicated that boiling in a solution of baking soda in water would soften the finish. I tried it, boiling for about 20 minutes. It does work, but I suspect it was the heat more than the PH. Anyway, while the parts are still warm, a little 0000 steel wool takes the coating off with little effort. It gets tougher when it cools. After scrubbing, I soaked the pieces in a solution of white vinegar and table salt. This produces a nice clean surface to 'tarnish'. Rinsed with clean water, and blotted dry, the parts were ready for the treatment.

c77978db121481aaa74796c54e2e2471.jpg

The internet provides several techniques for aging brass hardware. Simple heat produces a soft golden patina. Ammonia fuming is supposed to turn the brass dark. However, I needed a near-black finish, so I chose a product I was already familiar with.

f830a2dcfe28db3c252e562d4bb32ccb.jpg

This stuff is available in the sporting goods section of my local WalMart.

I applied it with an acid brush. I poured a little into a plastic cup with the screws, and let them soak. The hinges required three (or was it four?) applications, checking for shiny spots that needed more cleaning in between.

The results look like this, still wet.

9e7f2f7825b4416596dd4e28f0934806.jpg

Later, I'll rub them down with a paper shop towel to remove the film of scum that forms at the surface, then apply some wax.

• Like 2

Railroad spikes would be a cool idea.  My wife and I are with your son, we are big rail fans.  We travel quite a bit now and if we don't drive, the train is our choice.  So much more pleasant then flying if you have the time.

• Like 1

Wow! This is an awesome project! On the long list of things my wife wants me to build, something akin to this will be coming up in a few months. Thanks for sharing the project and how you have worked around certain obstacles. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up!

• Like 1