TV / Game Cabinet

wtnhighlander

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Got back to work on this for a bit this morning. I have the hinges all mortised in for the left-side doors, and attached with a single screw each. I found one to be rubbing against the bottom of the frame, so I glued a strip of sandpaper to a straight board and worked it down to fit.

f10e7084ef5de5986b03ddf19df5aba0.jpg

1b97c1864b90fde835e569792212f6d1.jpg

The doors close now, but not together. I still need to chamfer the edges so the corners don't interfere as the doors swing through their arc. Then repeat on the right-side doors.

I wanted to quote your post and get it over here on a fresh page ;)

Awesome work Ross!

• Like 1

Well, here's a good example of not thinking quite far enough in advance.

f728a9a584cf242b4358a03f87a30707.jpg

On the last door, there is a knot right on the edge of where the hinge mortise lands. I had already "stabilized" it with CA glue, but didn't notice it would interfere with the hinge. I think I will try to chisel out the mortise, and see how firm the knot really is, before I cut it out and glue in a patch. If this weren't a painted piece, I would never have included the knot to begin with. Probably shouldn't have, anyway.

8 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Well, here's a good example of not thinking quite far enough in advance.

Part of the fun of woodworking can be coming up with a solution to a problem we didn't see when it was a pile of lumber sitting on the floor.

The whole thing is coming out great Ross.

• Like 1

This morning I drilled and countersunk 160 holes for the screws that hold the shiplap on the back.

1e3f855c010dd529dfd70f9dcc4ae980.jpg

Then I started round 1 of sanding. O, joy.

Call for opinions: I plan to use a magnetic catch at the top corner of each door. How should that affect placement of the door pulls? Centered in the length of the style seems best to me (visually), but would moving them toward the top be better to offset the force needed to release the catches?

• Like 1

The project is looking great, Ross. I think you will be fine with the pulls in the center. The magnetic catches aren't that strong.

How did it work out with the mortise for the hinge where the knot is?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Shane, I pared it out with a chisel, very carefully. Seems to be stable, so I am forging ahead with it. Might soak a bit more CA into it as I sand.

• Like 1

You could put a magnet at both top and bottom of the doors, yeah?  Either way I think the placement of the pulls is moot in the context of magnets and I'd do whatever looks best.

You're doing a great job on this, Ross...I've been silent but following along.  Now finish the damn thing up so we can get a look at it, jeez.  You work slower than I do. :D

• Like 1

You could put a magnet at both top and bottom of the doors, yeah?  Either way I think the placement of the pulls is moot in the context of magnets and I'd do whatever looks best.

You're doing a great job on this, Ross...I've been silent but following along.  Now finish the damn thing up so we can get a look at it, jeez.  You work slower than I do.

Top and bottom magnets is an interesting idea, but I don't want to have an obstruction to books / DVD cases / whatever being slid off the bottom shelf. I'm leaning toward magnets at the top only, and pulls at the mid-point of the rails.

Believe it or not, I HAVE been working on it. I just figured pictures of my ROS would be uninteresting. Want a video, instead? ?

I am approaching the point of applying some shellac to seal the surface. Followed by more sanding, of course.

• Like 1

Out of nothing else to do, years ago, I collected them. Even bought a book showing old rr tracks in my area and pulled them from the rr ties. Let me see if I still have some and will pm you for your address and send them to Ya.

They were driven into the ties when laid so they could see later, how old they were. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I have to say, this ripping sled gets me straight and parallel edges much faster than using my dinky jointer.

7790a45728cc778094b7dbaf6bec83bf.jpg

That is almost identical to the one I built, though I don't even have a jointer. I put a little return on the near side that serves to support the base of the board. Probably not needed, but its there. I'm becoming a big fan of jigs that reference directly off the fence like this.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I have to say, this ripping sled gets me straight and parallel edges much faster than using my dinky jointer.

I'm actually about to make a sled like this for my own table saw. The Aspen I have for cabinet drawer boxes is missing the SL part of SL1E. I was thinking about using a giant T-track and clamps but your idea is much simpler. Plus, my original plan would be limited by the length of the t-track. I can't clamp a 10' board on 8' of t-track. But I can clamp a 10' board on an 8' sled like this, with some overhang.

-E

I had to fill a few defects in the top, with epoxy, like this:

db91263abb404f1eb975bcb6419ac146.jpg

Then, a lot of work with card scraper. Boy, are my thumbs tired!

Now, this panel is too wide for my planer, and I have no drum sander, so to level it, out came this bad boy from B&D -

94a3d1c3450c130851f34e4fa58f27d0.jpg

Next, I used a large chamfer bit to create the profile for the bottom edge.

c7a8d8dfdf7212b162e1271d365c22df.jpg

Still need to final sand, but I threw the top onto the case to check the look.

9b68cb6ee379a81e9ba97a3ae7f3580a.jpg

41790c1a2da7253bb767a5e2a9f2f218.jpg

Progress. Slow progress.

• Like 2