TV / Game Cabinet

wtnhighlander

I guess that sometimes, getting up early for shop time doesn't pay. This morning I measured twice, and still cut 12 door rails to short. ?

That's what I get for trying to batch out repetitive parts - repetitive errors.

Tomorrow, I'll have to start making them over again. ?

Bummer. Good luck tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did this two months ago. Seeing that I'm not the only one i feel a little bit better. I ended up using the pieces in a different location. Provided you didn't band saw then and burn them maybe you can find a new home for the pieces on a different spot or different project.

• Like 1

Ok, round 2 went much better. I re-cut all the rails (after careful checking with a test piece!). Here is a door frame, quickly slapped together, since I was over my allowable shop time.

ee88789dbbbf0d9ae2749eb5d6318a85.jpg

I still have to groove these new rails, and cut the panels to fit, but at least I'm going in the right direction!

• Like 2

Frames have come together great, but what's going on with the colour? it almost looks like half the boards are pre-finished - is that just the camera exaggerating?

Color is just surface oxidation. This lumber is S4S that has been sitting in a barn for years. I didn't resurface it, to avoid losing thickness. Most of it will even out in the final sanding, but the case & doors will be painted, anyway.

At last! A cold front came through last night, and reduced the air in my garage to somewhat less than pizza oven temperature. I was able to do a little work this morning, although I was still soaked after 30 minutes.

Three doors dry-fitted, one more to go!

2534aac83c2921bfe436ac6bfe011f8d.jpg

I did not design this face frame to use euro-style hinges, and my wife has now asked that the hinges not be visible from the front. Any suggestions on how to pull that off?

Its possible the cup hinges will work, but I'm not familiar enough to say.

• Like 1

At last! A cold front came through last night, and reduced the air in my garage to somewhat less than pizza oven temperature. I was able to do a little work this morning, although I was still soaked after 30 minutes.

Three doors dry-fitted, one more to go!

2534aac83c2921bfe436ac6bfe011f8d.jpg

I did not design this face frame to use euro-style hinges, and my wife has now asked that the hinges not be visible from the front. Any suggestions on how to pull that off?

Its possible the cup hinges will work, but I'm not familiar enough to say.

Awesome picture Ross! Great work as usual! For sure cup hinges will work. A 35 mm hole in the stile of the door and a couple 5mm screws 37 mm back on the case side for the mounting plate. >

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Edit: was thinking of this and realised you have a face frame. Ive never done euro hinges with a face frame but im sure you could just add a block behind the frame where the the mounting plates go to have enough 'meat' to screw into. You would probably want inset hinges instead of full overay like most euro style kitchens

Im sure Steve wdwerker has some insight.

• Like 1

They make face frame adapter baseplates for overlay doors. You would need to add blocking inside for inset doors. Whack together a test door and faceframe so you can practice if they are inset doors. Close attention to accuracy is important . PM me if you have questions. Blum hinges would be a wise choice.

• Like 2