Outdoor Table

Dknapp34

Those extenders work well. Only way to get plenty of clamping pressure just over 12 ft long. Use a little padding under the extender and your workpiece to avoid any marks.

I had to drill bigger holes in some of my older Besseys for the bolt to fit . It takes a quality bit, some lube and patience. Those bars are made of some good steel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the bessey extenders and they worked great.  Problem was that my longer clamps are jorgensens not bessey, so I didn't have enough length for the whole table top, even with the extenders.  But, I was able to glue up three of the four sections of the top with the extenders.  For the last section, I had to get creative:

IMG_1239.JPG

Attaching the clamps like that caused the top to bow, so I had to clamp it down to the bench in the middle to keep it flat.  It worked out reasonably well.  

Spent some time this weekend cutting the curves on the ends of the top and sanding the whole thing down.  The top is now finished except for the finish.  I'll post some pics later when I get a chance.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, treeslayer said:

beautiful work and workmanship on that table, are you planning on covering it up for the winter to protect it?

My plan is to put it in the garage for the winter.  The base is knock down, so it shouldn't take up too much space.  The only problem is that cypress is really soft, so every time I move it it seems to get a new dent.  I guess in a couple of years I can just tell people that it's a rustic table.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Wow! That turned out great! Be sure to update us on how the finish holds up.

Thanks!  Will do.  I took a bit of a chance with the finish, because I've never used it before and I couldn't find many reviews of it online, but I've always had good luck with General Finishes products before, so I'm optimistic.   

• 4 years later...