Cedar coffee table

Bombarde16

35 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Very cool!  Like most, I'm not a fan of paint but, nicely done!

Me, neither.  I think we all go through a phase where the thrill of seeing quality lumber treated with respect (i.e. clear finishes) leads to an aversion to paint.  The spirit of the Arts & Crafts movement looms large over our work.  That said, paint does have its place and this was certainly a good spot for it.  The junk I used to make the base was so badly mismatched that, if left natural, it would have distracted from the top.  I also expect that this table is going to get chewed up distressed quite quickly.  After the base gets macerated by scuffs from people's shoes (and perhaps by the claws of the future owner's cats) the paint should start to make more sense.

• Like 1

Very nice ! I like the inlay, it adds a level of class to an already beautiful piece.

The mixture of paint and clear finish has always appealed to me. The painted base is like a pedastal to make the top look better. Seeing as it's a coffee table I would remove the wax and use a more durable topcoat just to protect from drinks leaving rings or a spilled cocktail doing some dissolving.

15 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:
I see a good application for the stick of lacewood Shaneymack was showing in another recent thread....perfect for butterfly wings!

That is a very nice inlay job. Care to share your methods?

Not really mine to share. It's the same method Marc featured in a video which is identical to the technique David Marks used on WoodWorks. I decided to push the envelope in two places: 1.) I didn't bother with double stick tape and merely held the pieces down with finger pressure while tracing with an Xacto knife. 2.) I rushed through the pieces without letting the glue dry fully in between. Total time was just over one episode of HBO's "The Pacific" for all five pieces.

Edit:  Here it is.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

On 4/30/2016 at 11:54 AM, TIODS said:

Very cool!  Like most, I'm not a fan of paint but, nicely done!

Well do yourself a favor and don't watch the latest project on This Old House where they trimmed the entire outside of the house, including windows in genuine mahogany AND PAINTED IT WHITE. 

I mean, I get it, it's going outside, but just use something else.