Mothers day box

shaneymack

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

How could she NOT love it? Great work as usual, Shane!

7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I'm sure she will love it

6 hours ago, treeslayer said:

awesome work as usual shane, i love to surprise my wife with handmade gifts, i know she will love it

6 hours ago, TIODS said:

Super nice work!  Impressive fit!

6 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

That's awesome. I love the chatter on the top, good choice to leave it. Did you do any sanding, or work with a card scraper?

Thanks guys ! 

@JosephThomas I did nothing to the top at all. That is straight off the saw. I didnt even sand the finish between coats and its glass smooth (beside the intentional ridges of course) My new favorite wood to work with- ebony !!

Nice 400$ dollar box!

Really, cool idea with the piston lid. I must admit, you had me a tad lost along the way. Your drawing was a tad less than telling. 

Diclaimer: If I make no sense it's because I have been up all night in the ER with my dad.

LOL !(Not the ER part ) I figured it wasn't super obvious about how it worked thats why I made the little video. The reason I made the box like that was because I needed to make a box with no hardware. By the time I realised I had to make the box it was too late to get any decent hardware up here.

Is your dad okay??

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

LOL !(Not the ER part ) I figured it wasn't super obvious about how it worked thats why I made the little video. The reason I made the box like that was because I needed to make a box with no hardware. By the time I realised I had to make the box it was too late to get any decent hardware up here.

Is your dad okay??

No hardware workaround = brilliant idea!

No Shane. He had a massive stroke at 8pm last night and has not responded since. They are just keeping him medicated. Inbetween crying all night I read WTO to keep my sanity. He had bladder cancer and was scheduled for surgury on the 10th. That would probably not have gone well...god works in mysterious ways. 

Sorry to bring this thread to bummer status...but I like you guys enough to share this about my hero.

Is your dad okay??

No hardware workaround = brilliant idea!

No Shane. He had a massive stroke at 8pm last night and has not responded since. They are just keeping him medicated. Inbetween crying all night I read WTO to keep my sanity. He had bladder cancer and was scheduled for surgury on the 10th. That would probably not have gone well...god works in mysterious ways. 

Sorry to bring this thread to bummer status...but I like you guys enough to share this about my hero.

Hey man no apologies needed !! This is bigger than a little box. So sorry man, terrible news. :(

• Like 1

Beautiful box Shane. What did you apply for finish?

John, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.

Thanks Dave ! I used General Finishes Endurovar. It's great for spraying. I did the three coats in 1.5 hrs and there is no odour. Great for a little box that needs to be done for the next morning lol!

@Janello Sorry to hear about your father. I hope that you and your family can stay strong for him in this tough time.

Great box Shane. I've done only hinged lids previously and this and the other box builds are making me think i need to break my mold. The roughness from the band saw for the top looks great, almost rustic :P.

• Like 2

@Janello Sorry to hear about your father. I hope that you and your family can stay strong for him in this tough time.

Great box Shane. I've done only hinged lids previously and this and the other box builds are making me think i need to break my mold. The roughness from the band saw for the top looks great, almost rustic .

"Rustic" whoa, whoa, whoa, you better apologize!! Dems fightin words ! You can insult me, my wife or my kids but calling something I built "rustic" means WAR !!

• Like 2