Tool Chest Build

pkinneb

On 7/29/2016 at 10:25 PM, wtnhighlander said:

This set up is too cool.

For the fret saw, how about boring a hole through the C-shaped hook that holds the frame. It should line up with a void in the frame. Glue a magnet in the bottom, and cut a bolt so it drops into the hole and is held by the magnet. Use a longer bolt that is only threaded at the end. Cut off the threads, you'll have a smooth pin with a convenient 'knob' on top.

Thanks wtnhighlander great idea I am going to play with this magnet thought i think its a winner :) 

Thanks all for the kind comments!! This project has challenged me but that is one of the things I love about wood working. I love learning new things and working through issues especially with folks like you all that are so willing to share your thoughts and ideas.

I have hidden magnets just beneath the surface or glued veneer over them for a cleaner appearance. You do have to use a stronger magnet when doing this.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

They have a huge selection of sizes and strength magnets. They also have lots of technical data and info on uses. The greater the distance between the magnet and the tool weakens the force and they have diagrams showing this for all the different sizes.

I use ball shaped magnets to find hidden nails and screws. Great as a stud finder too. Roll one along a wood strip floor and it stops over each nail. If your nail gun still fires after you run out of nails it's easy to find the last nail so you can remedy the misfires. Little trick I learned from Tom Silva on TOH .

Thanks Steve that is a great resource I have bookmarked it.

The magnet suggestion worked well. After drilling for a cut off bolt I turned a knob

TC 83.JPG

I glued a cut off bolt into the end of the knob and drilled a hole in the back of the holder and glued a magnet there. This allowed me to hide the bolt and the magnet which was more aesthetically pleasing to me.

TC 84.JPG

TC 85.JPG

TC 86.JPG

Thanks to wtnhighlander and Steve this was a great idea and i really like the way it turned out. I did end up remaking the top blade bracket so that the fret saw was off set and would clear the planes in the till.

Next up the lid panels, here is a teaser :)

TC 87.JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eric. said:

Quite a contraption! :D I went a little simpler on mine.  By the time I got to this point I was so sick of the project I didn't really care anymore.

I like your handle...did you turn that yourself?

6.jpg

I haven't seen a piano hinge mounted on the outside of a box before. I guess it depends on the aspect that will be seen most and I am guessing the tool box open is the normal for you?

2 minutes ago, davestanton said:

I haven't seen a piano hinge mounted on the outside of a box before. I guess it depends on the aspect that will be seen most and I am guessing the tool box open is the normal for you?

Yes the cabinet doors are left open 99% of the time.  The only time I close them is when I put the backpack blower on to clean up.  Then I open it right back up.  So aesthetically it makes sense.  It was also an easier installation because I didn't have to mortise like I would if I had installed them inside the case, and frankly, now that I think about it...the way the cabinet is constructed I don't even think I could install piano hinges on the inside because of how the doors are boxes.

It's not the most elegant solution (I looked for solid brass but couldn't find them anywhere), but it doesn't get much stronger or easier to install than piano hinges.

• Like 2

Just because the conversation is on magnets, I've used small rare earth magnets to close a door. They are very small, and if done right you can get the door to stop in the exact spot you want and the sensation is quite nice as it gets pulled into line automatically.

One important thing is to pay attention to the poles of the magnets. It seems obvious when I write it here, but when installing it can be easy to absent mindedly treat them like just a metal dowel and install them in random orientation, in which case you have a 50% of making a door rejector instead of a closer! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a while but got back to the shop today and got the top finished and glued up. Just need to install hinges, lid lock catch, and rope lid retainer, apply a couple coats of water based poly, and it will be ready for my class in Maine next month. Down to the wire as usual :) 

TC 91.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

Looking great and enjoy your trip and class up here in Maine.

Thanks mat60! 

looking forward to seeing Maine and spending two weeks at the Woodenboat school

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Looking great ! I cant help but notice those beautiful quick clamps. Very familiar colours! Who makes them?

Lol cheapie from Rockler Woodworking I think they call them 6" pistol grip clamps they had 6 packs really cheap last Christmas and they actually work pretty good .