Tool Chest Build

pkinneb

I'm really looking forward to following this build. I like Mike's work very much. His tool cabinet is currently at the #3 position on my build list. 

Where did you find the butternut? Not a great deal of it around northern NM.

Thanks all for the kind words, I appreciate it!!

49 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looking really nice so far! I like your resourcefulness regarding the mix of butternut and pine. I'm not that familiar with butternut - is it anywhere near the same hardness as pine?

They are close 420ish for pine and 490 for butternut.

Well tonight I was able to get the through tenons all cut...another first for me. Getting lots of handsaw practice on this project.

TC 15.JPG

TC 16.JPG

TC 17.JPG

This one will give me a chance to hone my patch skills...

TC 19.JPG

All and all pretty happy with the results. This is really my first project other than the tail vise dovetail on my bench that I have used hand cut joinery so its kind of fun to stop practicing and actually use the skills in a project.

TC 20.JPG

Its all square that's a good sign. Now for this evenings teaching moments...

Ouch.JPG

That fancy new BC glide vise you installed moves really quick make sure your fingers are out of the way...ouch!!

TC 21.JPG

...and you might want to make sure the design you are using fits your tools :(  I think I will be OK though because the panels in the top will give me about a 1/4" additional clearance and if needed I will make the top rails and stiles thicker since the stock I have is about 1 1/16" rough. I measured everything except the height LOL lesson learned,

2 hours ago, micks said:

I'm really looking forward to following this build. I like Mike's work very much. His tool cabinet is currently at the #3 position on my build list. 

Where did you find the butternut? Not a great deal of it around northern NM.

Youngblood Lumber here in Minneapolis. I bought the Brown oak for the drawer fronts from Bell Forest Products.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Is that a Rob Cosman saw you have there with the black resin handle?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Oh and simple solution to your plane not fitting, change it for the low angle model ! =)

Yes and I love it! Much heavier than most handsaws so for cutting straight plumb joinery it works great. 

LOL I think I'll make it work I really like my Wood RIver planes... Having said that I am heading to Maine this fall to take a couple classes at the woodenboat school and I will be stopping at the Ottawa Lee Valley store so you never know :)

Yes and I love it! Much heavier than most handsaws so for cutting straight plumb joinery it works great. 

LOL I think I'll make it work I really like my Wood RIver planes... Having said that I am heading to Maine this fall to take a couple classes at the woodenboat school and I will be stopping at the Ottawa Lee Valley store so you never know

One day i will get a Cosman saw. They look awesome. Just really pricey.

Woodenboat school?

Stopping by Ottawa when in Maine? Its like 8 hours from Maine lol

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Woodenboat school?

Stopping by Ottawa when in Maine? Its like 8 hours from Maine lol

I live in MN and will be driving to Maine via Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen :) 

Pricey says the man that could fill a semi with his Festool stock LOL

• Like 2

I live in MN and will be driving to Maine via Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen  

Ahh i see. You will be driving right by me in Montreal! Let us know of all the goodies you buy on your voyage !

I live in MN and will be driving to Maine via Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen  

Pricey says the man that could fill a semi with his Festool stock LOL

Haha ! Ya i guess that does seem ridiculous but I will get way more use out of my Festools than a handsaw so I compromised and got the Veritas.

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

Really liking this. Looks great man.

Thanks Cliff!! I appreciate the feedback.

Only had a little bit of shop time today first up was putting some groves in the bottom and the fixed shelf. The shelf was an easy setup on the table saw with a 1/4" dado stack. the bottom required some hand work on the ends to keep from coming through the dovetails. I was able to use my 1/4" holder in my large router plane for the first time along with the fence it was a quick clean up.

TC 22.JPG

TC 23.JPG

After that i had an opportunity to fix a measuring error on the drawer divider where i miss read the plan and cut the width to the front dimension which did not include the lips that go in 1/4" on each side :( 

I decided the easiest fix was to dado the ends and glue in splines from the cut off piece, worked out fine.

TC 24.JPG

TC 25.JPG

I am really loving this bench I think I have used just about every feature on it already for this build. I also got a couple of tools for the next build, the Maloof inspired rocker, now I need to get the lumber so it can start acclimatizing to my shop. 

TC 26.JPG

That's all for tonight. Thanks for following the build.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TIODS said:

The sign of a good wood worker is the art of recover!  Nice job!

Of course new tools make the signs easier to read ;)

Thanks TIODS! 

Not much to show tonight but I got the front and back panels cut to size and the rabbits cut. 

TC 27.JPG

TC 28.JPG

Next up the groves and through mortises in the sides. After that I need to knock out some jigs to rout the lock recesses, final plane the outsides of the parts, and then pre-finish the parts. I hope to glue up the case maybe Sunday but we'll have to see what my wife has planned for me this weekend :) 

• Like 2