Walnut float top table from fww

tcarswell

Looks great!  I have always liked that design.  

That must have been some thirsty wood.  did you wipe off the ARS between coats?  I am usually happy with 3 or 4 coats, but I guess it depends on how you apply it.  

Looks beautiful.  I did my own version of that table a few years back.  It's a great design.  Tim Rousseau is the best contributor FWW currently has IMO.  Wish he had more content.

Yeah...9 coats is way excessive.  After 5 coats you're not gaining anything except a more plasticky looking finish.

THANKS GUYS ! Eric your version is what inspired me to do this one.

And I agree Timothy Rousseau is my favorite as well.  

Sorry for the confusion about the coats. After working with arm r seal especially arm r seal satin for a while the application that works best for me is to apply really really thin coats but more of them. Another thing is this was before I rubbed the finish out on the top. I'd bet the actual thickness of the finish now is similar to a normal 3 or maybe 4 wipe on coats. 

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Beautiful table ! Really nice work man. You really went buck wild on the ars. Why so many coats?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

What's the ars? Sorry lol

13 minutes ago, Cliff said:

But I feel like I should mail you a keyboard. 

Yeah that's a good point...keyboards are a dime a dozen these days, almost literally.  I bet you could get one at goodwill for like three bucks.

Unless you're on a laptop...?

5 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Great execution on a great looking table.  Love the coloration on the top.  I long for a new home that has a spot for a hallway or sofa table.  Like chimney cupboards I am attracted to them for no particular reason; I just want to make some.

Gee, never heard of a chimney cupboard, so looked it up. That is a cool looking piece.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Gee, never heard of a chimney cupboard, so looked it up. That is a cool looking piece.

Fine woodworking has some fantastic chimney cupboard plans . I have some really nice curly cherry I plan to make one with some day.