Combination square

WP1

Hi. I have been using my combination square for about 20 years now, and I need to find a replacement rule. Unfortunately the square has no manufacture name on it, only serial number 14D031 on the rule. Does anyone know who the manufacturer might be?

58 minutes ago, Eric. said:

No need to go through all that trouble.  Put the old one in a box and buy a PEC from Harry. 

Ding, ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.  Although I have the requisite Starretts, Woodpeckers and treasured older measuring tools in the shop, my PEC are my go-to for combo and double square daily users.

No need to go through all that trouble.  Put the old one in a box and buy a PEC from Harry.  The best value in woodworking.  You can thank @wdwerker for turning us all on to Harry's PEC Emporium.

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/12-2-pc-combination-square-4r-usa.html

7131-4R.jpg

This is the first I've heard of this thing - at the risk of sounding like a smart-aleck, what makes it so special? I want to believe!

Yep, they're manufacturer seconds.  Usually there's a little void in the head casting and they'll grind out the "PEC" on the blade.  I probably have 8 or 10 squares from Harry of varying sizes and every one of them arrived perfectly square.  They're the same ones that Lee Valley sells...re-branded, private labeled PEC.  I sold my Starretts after Steve introduced me to Harry.

• Like 1

Thanks for the credit but I heard about harryepstein.com from someone on the Forum several years ago. This is a great community ! I enjoy learning and sharing tips, techniques and sources just as much as the rest of you do.

Do some poking around on Harry's website there is plenty of interesting items available and good prices too !  I found this drill guide there.

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/tool-brand/big-gator-tools.html

I saw an infomercial about it and Harry happened to carry it. I have screwed it to a jig and was able to drill accurately placed holes that were perfectly straight in places that wouldn't have been possible to reach with a drill press.

• Like 2

Yeah the website is massive but I haven't found a whole lot of compelling stuff for woodworkers.  I did buy a handful of solid carbide carving burrs for ridiculously low prices from him.  But the squares alone make Harry's a gold mine.

45 minutes ago, Denette said:

This is the first I've heard of this thing - at the risk of sounding like a smart-aleck, what makes it so special? I want to believe!

PEC (not to be confused with the relatively new Delta PEC) makes their own tools and of course we see them labeled Lee Valley and Woodcraft and I imagine others.  No magic here, just a well made accurate tool for a good price.  My 12" PEC combo is more comfortable in the hand and moves smoother than my near-tripple-priced Starrett.

Often when folks ask about most often used tools the 4" and 6" double square get mentioned.  I have them handy at locations around the shop where they are often used.  I liked my Starrett (Christmas present) 12" combo but at the price picked up a PEC during an ordering frenzy. 

I was directed to PEC by a machine shop that makes molds for aerospace.  They use them all around the shop for "roughing" but, their rough estimate exceeds my minimum requirement so I gave them a go.  Bear in mind that a high end machinist would probably consider them crude but, he has measuring tools that costs more than a used Corolla. :)

I also got a couple of 24" blades for my combination squares which are very handy. I remember paying around $100 for my 24" Starrett blade many years ago. Maybe a machinist can tell a difference but I couldn't . Only flaw I found was slight areas where the engraved markings weren't completely filled with the black enamel.

I like to set a square for each repeating length during a project and keep it set during the whole job. I might have 6 or 7 different squares set and labeled on a piece of blue masking tape for quick reference. 

Thanks for the credit but I heard about harryepstein.com from someone on the Forum several years ago. This is a great community ! I enjoy learning and sharing tips, techniques and sources just as much as the rest of you do.

Do some poking around on Harry's website there is plenty of interesting items available and good prices too !  I found this drill guide there.

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/tool-brand/big-gator-tools.html

I saw an infomercial about it and Harry happened to carry it. I have screwed it to a jig and was able to drill accurately placed holes that were perfectly straight in places that wouldn't have been possible to reach with a drill press.

What's the jig look like? Take a picture

I wanted to get a 24" rule for my PEC, but the only ones Harry carried looked different and made in China

I often slap together a jig for a project from scrap. Plywood, nails, screws whatever is handy. I use it for that job then strip off hardware like the big gator drill guide and trash the jig.

I used a couple of screws through the other holes in the drill guide to attach it to the jig. There are center lines so you can put the guide in an exact location.

Availability of the Products Enginerring seconds does vary from time to time so check back occasionally.

A combination square is one of those tools where it really will make no noticeable difference in woodworking whether you get a cheap one, or a high dollar one.

The important things are:  dead square, easy to read, accurate scale, slides easily when unlocked, and easy to lock and unlock.

I have a number of the best ones made, with different length blades, because I was left all the tools in a dear friend's estate.  He was a machining and welding instructor.  I'm just throwing that in to make the statement that I do know the difference between a good one and otherwise.  I do use the Starretts occasionally, but it doesn't matter to me which one I use.

The combination square I use the most, and carry in my toolbelt, is a stainless steel bladed Craftsman.  I bought it years ago in a Sears store.  Now I did have a good one with me to check it by, and this might be a problem for a lot of people.  I checked a number of them hanging on the peg until I found one that operated smoothly enough to suit me.  Interestingly to me, they were all square. 

I have never had one of the PEC's, as already mentioned in the thread, but trust the guys here enough that I would go by their recommendation.

10 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I've tried to figure out how to use an avatar here with no luck so far.  

But Norm??   Thanks, but no thanks.

Do you have any requests then, good sir?  Norm sure fits you like a glove I must say.

48 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Wait, Kiki can assign photos to profiles? You about to recieve a flood of PM requests @Eric. ?

Yeah probably a can of worms I didn't wanna open with all the old guys around. LOL  Closed for business until further notice...

11 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I have four or five of the 4" double squares scattered about my shop.  I use those little guys far more than any other size.  So handy, I love 'em.

I don't have any of those. But they are high in priority on my list. I feel like I'm missing something but not having them