New plane!!! BCTW content

Llama

4 minutes ago, andrew-in-austin said:

I doubt they are objectively any better in their use than any other highly quality plane. 

I own them because I like them and I can afford them. To answer your question, they are better in use. How much better, that's for the user to decide.

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

If they have higher tolerances then yes, it could provide the user with a more accurate result. As for BCTW, I just have not seen any objective evidence that they are "better". Do they allow finer shavings?  How do they allow one to accomplish a better result?

5 minutes ago, andrew-in-austin said:

If they have higher tolerances then yes, it could provide the user with a more accurate result. As for BCTW, I just have not seen any objective evidence that they are "better". Do they allow finer shavings?  How do they allow one to accomplish a better result?

Have you tried one? Are you implying that BCTW doesn't have a higher tolorance than LN? 

48 minutes ago, Llama said:

Have you tried one? Are you implying that BCTW doesn't have a higher tolorance than LN? 

No I have not.  But I am still wondering how they produce a better result.  I'd just like to see an example situation where the BCTW plane could produce something better or more accurate than, say, a LN or LV plane, or made the process of producing the result much more efficient or easier for the craftsman.  I am just trying to find a way to justify the extra cost, beyond the "it's so pretty" reasoning.

For example, their block plane price might be justified because it can do thickness plaining, where as I don't think the LN or LV one can.  That extra $90 or so might be worth it for that extra feature.

However, the dual angle block plane with depth skids at $460 would be hard to justify for me, mostly because their "single angle" one does everything the dual angle does at ~$200 less (plus another iron).

1 hour ago, xxdabroxx said:

I carry a Benchmade pocket knife.  It cost over $200, does it cut any better than another knife?  Not necessarily, it is made with high quality steel and has a good feel in the hand and tight manufacturing tolerances.  Sometimes we just buy things because we like the quality of the item, not necessarily that they are that much better than an alternative. 

TRUTH! The Sebenza is no better than my benchmade emissary, but it's tolerances are tighter, and it's a quality piece. Not to discredit Benchmade, which is already higher end. 

Same applies to BCTW. I have some of their stuff and it's made really well. There's a lot of attention to detail in their items.

22 hours ago, Llama said:

Hard to say... There is absolutely zero play in the mechanisms on any of the BCTW planes I have. The blade advance knob is very easy to use, and dial in to the smallest degree. The fit and finish is absolutely perfect on these tools. As for an advantage, I'm not sure. But here is what John E said.

"Quality is contagious.

Nothing is more important to a woodworker than his tools.

If you owned a tool chest full of well-crafted tools,

how could you possibly justify doing shabby work?

You dishonor your tools, you dishonor yourself."

I am definitely of the school that a person does not need to justify his tool purchases.  I was just curious to know from someone who has used BCTW planes if there was a noticeable difference in performance.  If I had the funds, I'd probably buy them too.  But until I get a domino and better planer and a lake house with a boat, I will stick to drooling over pictures of them online.

• Like 1