Newest One Time Tool

AcworthWW

On 9/20/2016 at 6:22 PM, Cliff said:

I ordered both versions of the framing square (smaller one and larger in inches) along with the case. They screw you on the mdf if you buy one or both separately, but if you buy them in the package together I think the MDF thing is basically free. $369 + tax for the package deal.

LOL oh I think they "screw" you on a bit more than the MDF seeing as how 3 feet of 1/4" thick 2 inch wide aluminum goes for about $11 (LINK) in single quantities.

Things are worth what people will pay for them.

Oh you guys are too easy. I figured a simple comment like that would catch your attention and raise some defenses. lol

You gotta admit though, it is pretty amazing that they can get more for their aluminum milled and anodized product than Starrett gets for hardened steel that actually WILL and has been proven to last a lifetime (LINK). Marketing constantly impresses me.

That said, I have quite a few red tools myself, so dont get your panties all in a bunch ;) Still prefer my Starrett stuff though. Aluminum always feels like itll dent too much or become out of alignment if I so much as dropped it.

5 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I don't disagree, they're stuff is way over priced..  But then again, so is FT..

Yep. Now I haven't partaken in any of that FestFoolery just yet. So far I haven't been as impressed as the internet would have me believe when I go actually get my hands on their products in a store. But who knows, maybe someday they'll convince me their system is worth the price of admission. I unfortunately am a sucker for good marketing and aesthetics like the rest of the masses so I'm sure they'll win me over eventually.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

LOL oh I think they "screw" you on a bit more than the MDF seeing as how 3 feet of 1/4" thick 2 inch wide aluminum goes for about $11 (LINK) in single quantities.

Things are worth what people will pay for them.

It's over 6 ft of 1/4" X 2" because the short side is 3 layers. But the center layer is cut from a single piece of aircraft grade aluminum machined to within 10 thousands of an inch.  

Mine paid for itself by increasing my accuracy and reducing the number of discarded pieces that had to be recut.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

You gotta admit though, it is pretty amazing that they can get more for their aluminum milled and anodized product than Starrett gets for hardened steel that actually WILL and has been proven to last a lifetime (LINK). Marketing constantly impresses me.

Enjoy the Starrett comparison

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/metrology/metrology-products/precision-measuring-tools/squares/Solid-Squares/20-24

23 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

538$ here for the set. Ouch!

Yeah but I don't get why anyone would buy the set.  I mean they're identical except one is 8" longer.  Makes no sense to buy both.  Plus it's $370 in America where our money still has value. :D

I paid $200 for the big one with no case...not cheap but I don't find it that outrageous.  I think it should be a 36" square (and free shipping) for that price but whatever.  They got me.

Yeah but I don't get why anyone would buy the set.  I mean they're identical except one is 8" longer.  Makes no sense to buy both.  Plus it's $370 in America where our money still has value.

I paid $200 for the big one with no case...not cheap but I don't find it that outrageous.  I think it should be a 36" square (and free shipping) for that price but whatever.  They got me.

Yeah, I guess I'll only get the big one. Only 345$.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:
Ouch! Bill it to your company it is labeled framing square.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lol. I would but I have a bunch of systainers i need for the trailer ( to make up different kits of tools) and I am getting the ct sys vac amongst other Festool stuff. Gotta space these purchases out !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

If the Canadian to us currency conversion is $1 USD = 1.32$ CDN, the square should be 264$ CDN plus shipping, unless shipping is 81$ CDN for the 345$ total.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I guess the extra 81$ is their profit. I have no clue. Im so used to getting screwed I don't question it anymore. I just bend over quietly. 

2 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Oh you guys are too easy. I figured a simple comment like that would catch your attention and raise some defenses. lol

That said, I have quite a few red tools myself, so dont get your panties all in a bunch ;) Still prefer my Starrett stuff though. Aluminum always feels like itll dent too much or become out of alignment if I so much as dropped it.

Wait, you just linked a tool that is $176. And it's 18". The Woodpecker (big one) is 26" and has a MUCH longer reference edge that sits perfectly on your material. In fact I stopped using my starrett because my 12" Woodpecker is so vastly superior. If there is a downside, I'm seriously having a hard time finding it. That is coming from someone who was like "Why the hell would someone pay so much for a square?" 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Yeah but I don't get why anyone would buy the set.  I mean they're identical except one is 8" longer.  Makes no sense to buy both.  Plus it's $370 in America where our money still has value. :D

Yeah I'm actually canceling my $386 order and getting just the 26". I had a few days to think it over. Better to get just one.

35 minutes ago, Llama said:

@shaneymack - I think you were just insulted.

Most own some, but Shane owns most. You cant knock it until you try it. Besides festool is good for the market, because of their innovation. You think dewalt would be making a track saw right now if festool didnt have so much success with the ts55? Im not saying they would have never developed it, but i doubt it hits the market at the same time it did.