New Shop (Soon?)

freedhardwoods

You are my kind of guy ! You clearly don't do things half way. Your shop will be 18x48 !!!!!!! oh.......my........goodness! Hope you will post pics as you go and especially as you fill it with tools. Any ideas of what tools you will be buying?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I already have most of the tools I will be starting with. I have a Dewalt DWE7491RS table saw and DWS780 chop saw I bought for cabinet installing.

I will be using Marc Sommerfeld's cabinet making method, so I have several of his tools. Built a crude looking but accurate router table. I already have 4 routers.

Parallel clamps are expensive, so I made (almost done) 15 of my own, and bought 8 IRWIN QUICK-GRIP XP600, 24" clamps.

Kreg K4 jig.

Porter Cable 4216 dovetail jig

Already have 2 saw dust blowers; made my own cyclone.

Several other things I can't remember.

I'm going to order a Fuji Mini Mite 4 for finishing.

I'm starting this business on a shoestring in a shoe box by most shop standards in the area, but (my) money doesn't grow on trees.

Does that tablesaw have dust collection ports, if not you might wanna think about dust collection, as we age we're more siceptable to lung problems, and from the look of your avatar, you ain't no spring chicken., hell neither am I!  Money doesn't grow on trees is right, the lot lizards get most of it!

9 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Does that tablesaw have dust collection ports, if not you might wanna think about dust collection, as we age we're more siceptable to lung problems, and from the look of your avatar, you ain't no spring chicken., hell neither am I!  Money doesn't grow on trees is right, the lot lizards get most of it!

Dust ports top and bottom.

I never lost any money there; been married 35 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

What is the building next to it?

16'x48x10' lean to that I was making cabinet parts in before 08' wiped me out. My plan was to build a 40'x48x14' building beside it as my business grew. I changed it to a mechanic shop to work on my vehicles and equipment after I closed that business.

I cleaned up and rearranged things trying to make room to work, but I've collected too many tools and parts over the years. I could only clear about 16' on one end and that is just too crowded, so here comes the new addition.

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Bull corn! Looks like a whole bunch got done. Coming along great!  Will you be pouring concrete inside the footers or resting floor joists on them?

For years I have heard people complain about foot and back pain from working on a concrete floor all day. I decided from the start I am putting in a wood floor.

I will screw non - t & g plywood to the joists and run dust piping and electrical under the floor. If I want to rearrange things at some point, just pull up a few sheets and move things.

7 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Construction is always by fits and starts. Things appear to be going well to all of us who have done it. 

That helps to hear that. Thirty years ago I built the house I'm living in. I remember that seemed like it took forever.