New Shop (Soon?)

freedhardwoods

10 minutes ago, freedhardwoods said:

This is the door track and a roller set. There were 3 roller sets on each of the original 16' doors. I used 2 each on the new 12' doors.

I don't have any blueprints or drawings. I had the general design in my head and started building. I figure out details as I get to them.

The old doors didn't have any seals as is common on most pole barn sliding doors. I want to seal these somehow but that is a detail I hadn't got to yet. Right now it's wood against close to wood (I don't have the rollers adjusted). I'll listen to any suggestions.

Commercial roll up doors have mustache type strips that go through a lot of abrasion and "seal" against irregular surfaces. I will dig a bit. 

• Like 1

The more I look, the less I like the idea. I cannot see a great option online. Another thought I had is about the soft but tough seals like garage door bottoms have. Do you draw the door close with a latch? If so you want to mount the seal in a way that the latch compresses it. 

• Like 2

Here is one of the original door latches installed on a new door. There is 2 on each door. I may need 2 more to make it seal good.

I've been working on several details that don't really show good in pics. Started at 2:30 am cleaning up some of my mess so I can work without tripping all the

I must have ate something that didn't agree with me. As the day wore on, I was spending more time in the bathroom than working, so I quit mid afternoon.

69.jpg

• Like 1

Here is how I finished one of the sliding doors. The shiny stuff is AYR-FOIL A1V 

The layers are; metal on outside, 1" of Styrofoam, 1/2" air space, Ayr-Foil on the inside. I ripped 1/2" strips from 2x6's to hold the foil in place.

I am thinking about finishing the ceiling with Ayr-Foil also. Is there a downside to a shiny ceiling?

75.jpg

76.jpg

2 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

None I can think of. Is it tough enough to hold blanket above? If not you might want to fasten it to furring strips that can hold your other insulation. 

This stuff is extremely tough. I have 8' 2x6's between 18' 2x10 joists. I was going to face staple 6" fiberglass between the 2x6's, install the foil with furring strips screwed to the 2x10's to hold it in place, and slide in 3 1/2" insulation.

18.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mat60 said:

Great work truck.   How did it like that load?  I also bet you been working  allot to get more cash flow after this shop build.  It shore is a great space.

It did pretty good with this load, about 18,000 lbs trailer and load. It's rated to haul 6,000lbs in the bed and pull 30,000 lbs. I don't know why they still call them 1 ton trucks anymore.

I work on a "you call, I haul" basis. I worked 5 1/2 days last week. Only 2 days lined up this week so far.

• Like 1

Progress has been really slow lately. I've been having trouble getting/staying motivated. Yesterday morning I was in the shop forcing myself to get things ready to put insulation in the ceiling, just wanting to go back to the house and sit down.

On one of the "tools" I had to make I had to cut a dado. Cutting that one dado reminded me: I like working with wood. It gave me a much better outlook on the day and I was able to get on with my work.

I got a good start on the ceiling insulation after getting my "tools" made. I built a measure stick/cutting guide and a batt installation tool. Next to last pic is the dado that got me motivated.

Yesterday afternoon I had other things to do.

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Freed, I know the feeling about not being motivated. On a job this large, when you put sticks in the air, you have a realization of accomplishments. After that comes the nitpicking crap that's necessary but you tend not to see the progress. This whole darn build of yours is coming along great, from an outsiders view, looking in (and staying warm). Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...