New Shop (Soon?)

freedhardwoods

13 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

I read a lot of threads on this forum about projects and new tools.

I want to be working in my shop, not on it.

barnie.gif

It's a double edged sword. The guy with a great big swath of land,  one building up and building an  a ajoiner would rather be in the shop.  I know plenty of guys working in a one car garage with only 1/6 acre under the house(myself included)  that would happily put the shop on hold to be able to build a dedicated shop 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

It's a double edged sword. The guy with a great big swath of land,  one building up and building an  a ajoiner would rather be in the shop.  I know plenty of guys working in a one car garage with only 1/6 acre under the house(myself included)  that would happily put the shop on hold to be able to build a dedicated shop 

I can't imagine living like that. I feel cramped on my acre & a half 3 miles outside of my population 1500 home town.

• 2 weeks later...

This book came several days ago. I've read several parts of it. It does tell a lot of tricks to make jobs possible by yourself. If you are fairly new to construction it would be very helpful.

I had already picked up most of the tricks over the years from carpenter friends. It doesn't give you any tricks to speed things up.

103.jpg

• Like 2

Another days work. To get the bubble insulation over the roof, I tied a string to a small block of wood, wrapped the end of the insulation around a 5' long 1/2" x 1 1/2", and c-clamped that to the other end of the string. I would throw the block over the building and then go up on top and pull the string up.

I used my flatbed trailer to work from to be able to reach better.

24.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 2

This book came several days ago. I've read several parts of it. It does tell a lot of tricks to make jobs possible by yourself. If you are fairly new to construction it would be very helpful.

I had already picked up most of the tricks over the years from carpenter friends. It doesn't give you any tricks to speed things up.

103.jpg

Sorry it didn't work out better for yah.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

Would one not be able to argue that being able to get it done would be speeding things up?

I'm excited to see this shop done and the work you do in it. Some day I'd love to build my own shop.

Also i think the lens on your camera is dirty and needs a quick wipe.

I started today building a wall. I didn't want to be on the roof with frost on everything with the thermometer at 34*. I built it in 2 sections for easier handling.

First pic is how I start every day. Second is a brain fart I discovered when I laid out the pieces; The bottom plate needs to be 104 - 37.75 = 64.25 headscratch.gif.

66.25 worked better in the third pic of the finished wall.

Got the roof finished and called it a day.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

25.jpg

• Like 2

It would take a lot more than that to offend me. I've just been real busy with work and other things. I have a real busy week next week starting Tuesday so updates will be a little slow after Monday.

I overlapped the joints about 3 inches. I can't say that is the proper way to install it. I don't claim to be a carpenter even though I've built a few buildings Including my house.