New Shop (Soon?)

freedhardwoods

On 11/14/2016 at 6:55 PM, K Cooper said:

Working by yourself, I think you're doing great!

On 11/15/2016 at 0:58 PM, mat60 said:

I agree .    The door had to be a pain to hang alone.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I had three 17 hour days in a row at work. Sounds like only 5 or 6 tomorrow. Might get back to building tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have been reusing the metal I pulled off of the building. I have 1 end and 1 side on except for the sliding door. Just a small pile of metal left. The ugly looking spot by the window is a temporary patch over the hole I framed in the wall for A/C. I won't buy and install that til next summer.

I am going to pull the old metal off the end of the building facing the road, use part of it to finish the door, and put new metal across that entire end. The sliding door on that end will be 2/3 in the old part and 1/3 in the new. The header will be supporting the roof as well as the door.

I measured the wall sections this morning before I went to work, called the lengths in at 7 am when GPB opened, and brought home the new metal late this afternoon.

I'll have several pics for this wall. I have to jack up the header holding the roof peak, take out the corner post, and put the header in the end wall to hold up the roof header. I'd like to get that wall covered by Sat pm. We'll see if that happens. whip.gif

46.jpg

47.jpg

49.jpg

51.jpg

• Like 2

I made quite a bit of progress on the east wall. I worked from 3 am to 11 am yesterday and 4 am to 2 pm today before I had to make a short run.

The dark pic shows how I had the window opening framed wrong. It took about an hour to fix this one. I used my hammer drill and Tapcon bolts to anchor the wall to the concrete block wall under it. I moved the light switch to a temporary spot for now.

When I got back from work, I temporarily fastened some tin over the doorway and stuck in the walk door. I was wore out and called it a day.

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

64.jpg

• Like 2

This is the door track and a roller set. There were 3 roller sets on each of the original 16' doors. I used 2 each on the new 12' doors.

I don't have any blueprints or drawings. I had the general design in my head and started building. I figure out details as I get to them.

The old doors didn't have any seals as is common on most pole barn sliding doors. I want to seal these somehow but that is a detail I hadn't got to yet. Right now it's wood against close to wood (I don't have the rollers adjusted). I'll listen to any suggestions.

67.jpg

68.jpg