New Shop (Soon?)

freedhardwoods

8 hours ago, TIODS said:

Yea, hard to keep up that pace for sure!  Reminds me of when I built my shop!

At least you know it's being built correct.

That may not be exactly the right way to phrase that statement. I could show you some mistakes I made on my house, but it hasn't burned or blown down yet.

8 hours ago, mat60 said:

Reminds me of when I was young and I bet your sore from falling.    Job is looking good.

I've got a bump on my shin and cheek, but I'm more sore just from the work.

We were using a 3' piece of 2x10 to hammer the t&g together. I would stand on it as I hit it to keep it from bouncing away. As I was stepping on to it, about a half second before my foot landed, I saw the end of the board wasn't on the joist and knew what was coming.

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You probably called the first few sheets osb and the rest, sob;)

It is looking like great progress!

I thought the floor was going to be the easy part for the day. By the time we got done, I decided otherwise.

Today I squeezed in 5 hours between rain storms doing various small chores and cutting 60 2x6's to length for roof stringers. I made a measure stick (on the board in first pic) so I didn't have to stretch out a tape measure every time.

The boards have been stored outside on sticks behind my shop for a couple years. Two inches of rain had everything soaked. I used my lawn mower and wagon to bring them to the front of the shop. My pickup is 4wd but it weighs almost 9,000 lbs.

I put the boards back on sticks to dry out. Then I had to make a run up to Indy.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Looks like you're getting some rain?  That always makes the outdoor work more fun ;)

Coming along!

3 1/2 inches

8 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

I am assuming you are connecting the roof, are you also going to eventually remove the wall of the existing building too and open it up to the new?

There are two 16' doors with a 16' wall between them. I'm going to keep the center wall, replace the tin with osb, and take down the doors.

Well, yesterday I found out how NOT to put rafters up. I thought I would put it together in sections and then just hoist the ends up with rope and pulleys. The putting together part went real well. The hoisting up part took 8 HOURS  (6 yesterday and 2 today).

I went on a search this morning in the Amish community to find a sky track with a long boom I could use to lift the sections into place. I stopped by one of the cabinet shops that I do a lot of installing and delivering for and the owner said he and 5 of his boys would come over next week and help me get the rafters and stringers up.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

That does look interesting. I was "trying" to speed up the roof process, but it didn't work. I have done a lot of work by myself.

That does look interesting. I was "trying" to speed up the roof process, but it didn't work. I have done a lot of work by myself.

Yeah I was guessing you had as much or more experience as the author... But still, might be worth a read. I haven't read it, but it's been on my list for a year or so, I forget where I found it...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Yeah I was guessing you had as much or more experience as the author... But still, might be worth a read. I haven't read it, but it's been on my list for a year or so, I forget where I found it...

I ordered it using your link. I didn't finish my thought a while ago. Tips and tricks only makes it "possible" to do some jobs alone. It doesn't change the fact that on some jobs, a second (or more) set(s) of hands makes the work go incredibly faster.

• Like 1

I ordered it using your link. I didn't finish my thought a while ago. Tips and tricks only makes it possible to do some jobs alone. It doesn't change the fact that on some jobs, a second (or more) set(s) of hands makes the work go incredibly faster.

Well shoot, let me know if you like it... :)

9 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

I ordered it using your link. I didn't finish my thought a while ago. Tips and tricks only makes it "possible" to do some jobs alone. It doesn't change the fact that on some jobs, a second (or more) set(s) of hands makes the work go incredibly faster.

And some times it's faster alone. I work with my dad and he sometimes asks why I'm doing stuff the way I'm doing it so often that i spend more time explaining myself then working.

Shop is looking good, I'm learning a lot from this thread. In the future i might try and tackle building my own shop so this might be a good reference. Thanks!