Domino Set or No Set

danbell78

Question for Domino owners.  I have decided, and convinced the wife, to buy a Domino.  Now the question I have is whether to get the 'Set' or not.  I know the $75 difference isn't huge, but I also don't see a great advantage to either the Trim Stop or Cross Stop?  Any great uses for these that I am not seeing?

Set

http://www.festoolproducts.com/power-tools/festool-domino-joiners/festool-574432-domino-joiner-df-500-q-set.html

Standard

http://www.festoolproducts.com/power-tools/festool-domino-joiners/festool-574332-domino-df-500-joiner.html

Ive used the tool both ways, and the trim stops can be very effective at spacing mortises accurately in relation to one another. The more i use the tool, the more i like to lay out lines with my pieces next to one another. It is accurate, fast, and easy to use the crosshair sight to line up the tool to your layout line. 

I guess it depends on the operation and how dead on accurate you have to be versus how accurate you will be with the sights. I can see where you might be off 1/32-1/64" here or there with using the tool's sights and layout lines. This doesnt matter for me, because i cut one side tight and a corresponding side tight and do the rest medium. Plenty of empirical studies show a domino is very strong on the medium and loose setting, and it allows you the flexibility to perfectly line the workpieces up while clamping. 

The issue is the useful accessory (trim stop) is $72 to buy which i suggest having where as the additional $3 gets you another accessory (cross stop) that has the potential to be useful. I've used the cross stop when i wanted to index in a distance on something consistently when i didn't want to mark a bunch of layout lines. Get the set the cross stop is worth $3.

• Like 1

I got the set and i like the cross stop for doing longer runs of dominos with no layout marks needed. Hook the pin stop on the end of a long board for your first mortise, switch to sloppy mode, then use cross stop for all the rest of the mortises.

I havent used the trim stop yet, but it seems like it could be good once you precisely set it up for a specific operation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I used the cross stop the other day for the first time and had pretty awful, near disastrous results.

Gluing up a table top in seven strips.  My thought was to use the tight Domino setting for one line of mortises, then the next larger setting for it's mating board.  I didn't take into account that doing it this way offset each subsequent Domino center, so after I applied glue and had Dominos in the tight mortises, the Dominos didn't line up with the mortises after the first couple.  I had to quickly rip the Dominos out and dig out cauls.  It was messy and the top ended up not as flat as it would otherwise because I ended up in a position where I had to rush things.

This was 100% my fault, but I'm not sure how quickly I'll reach for the cross stop next time.  Simple layout lines would have prevented my problem.

That said, if I remember right, each piece retails for $75.  The kit is about $75 more than the Domino alone.  Get the kit and if you don't use the stops, eBay them.

Simple layout lines would have prevented my problem.

Using the loose setting with the cross stop on both sides would have prevented this. You dont need any tightly set dominos for glue up alignment. Ive used the cross stops a few times like that and it works great.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I didn't order the set and kind of wish I had now. I did get the assortment systainer. I just didn't want to be in a position where I needed a cutter and had to wait a few days to get it.

You have 30 days to return it and can always call your dealer and tell them you want the set parts. They might just send them to you for the difference in price. 

The thing about the xstop is that since you're referencing one hole after another, any error is compounded. And there are lots of ways to introduce that spacing error. You can easily get misaligned after just a few mortises. Also, youre using the left attachment for one board , and right for another so u have to be sure theyre set up the exact same.

Something as simple as a bow in your work surface, dust in the mortise, mortises cut too fast, etc can cause the spread to change over the course of a few feet of mortises.

You definitely need to use the slop setting after the first cut, and i use my hip to press the xstop pin in and against the edge of each mortise to make sure it seats consistently.

It took me a couple tries to get it right but its working well for me now. No layout needed just a few quick marks to remind me which end of the board im starting at and which surface im mortising. Pencil layout works well too but still requires the sloppy setting unless youre just dead on accurate.

Even with mostly slop mortises the joints are strong and snug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I went with the set.  It was delivered yesterday, haven't done much yet other then some practice boards cause you can't wait on testing out a new toy, I mean tool, like that.  

Already thinking I should have got the kit with all the cutters and Dominos.  I got the 5mm that came with it, and ordered the 10 mm cutter, but now looking at it thinking the 6 and/or the 8mm cutters would be nice too!

3 hours ago, danbell78 said:

I went with the set.  It was delivered yesterday, haven't done much yet other then some practice boards cause you can't wait on testing out a new toy, I mean tool, like that.  

Already thinking I should have got the kit with all the cutters and Dominos.  I got the 5mm that came with it, and ordered the 10 mm cutter, but now looking at it thinking the 6 and/or the 8mm cutters would be nice too!

Honestly, you wouldn't be the first person to overlook the value of the Domino assortment, it seems very expensive until you actually do the math.  

3 hours ago, danbell78 said:

5 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Honestly, you wouldn't be the first person to overlook the value of the Domino assortment, it seems very expensive until you actually do the math.  

Personally i find i use 6mm tenons the most I've used some 8mm but it's rare. My 10mm have never been opened and if I'm going small I've used 4mm more often then the 5mm. I get the value it represents but if i don't use the sizes the value is not there. Also buying the Huge pack of tenons makes better sense and pays off long term. I ran an extensive spreadsheet comparing everything and if you don't use 1 size in the pack it makes it not worth it. Also your buying 2 5mm (1 included with the tool 1 in the assortment pack) cutters and i never use the 5mm cutter so now i have 2 unused accessories.

Sorry to buck the trend on the assortment pack. I bought it because my local dealer doesn't stack the large tenon packs. the assortment is still better then buying the small tenon packs.

If you don't consider the Systainer worth much if anything then the math doesn't work out as well.  The other thing to add in is if you know you won't use size, selling them will net you back roughly 80% of the individual price new and you can make the set work even if you don;t use them all.  I personally don't use all the sizes regularly but have used everything from the 4 to 14.  

7 hours ago, danbell78 said:

Haha, mine has been sitting in my office since I got it 7 days ago. There are clothes hanging on it. But I got extenuating circumstances keeping me from doing projects like the shop being full of insulation, osb and 20' 2x4's for the ceiling.

• 2 weeks later...