Festool Domino Purchase

Keggers

I've decided to buy myself a new Festool Domino DF500 for Christmas. I chose it over the 700 model as I feel it would better meet my needs.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest a preferred company to but it from.

Right now I'm thinking Amazon but was wondering if there's a better place to buy.

Thank you for any help.

I think woodcraft is having a festool free shipping sale. CPO has free shipping as well. Honestly I don't think there is a bad place to buy from except maybe that hole in the wall local place that sells used demo units as new? Toolnut/festoolproducts was very helpful when i dealt with them on festool stuff (pro 5 sander).

Wherever you can get free shipping and avoid sales tax. For me, i like a place out of Ohio that sells through amazon. I skip the taxes from buying directly through amazon, and they ship for free next day. Hartville Tools, I think is the name. Bob Marino has always shipped my accessories very quickly too. 

• Like 1

I always order AZ if possible.  We don't pay tax (yet) in MO, Kent, and they have the easiest return process on earth.  Plus if you have an AZ card you get money back...but not 5% so I'd use the Disco if you have it. :D  I think I get like 3% back year round with my AZ card.  Plus if you're Prime you'll have your new toy in two days or less.  Not a whole lot of reasons to order anywhere else these days if AZ carries something.  They're usually the lowest price too.  Usually.  Festool prices don't vary.

• Like 2

Bob Marino and Toolnut are at the top of my Festool list.  They are the bigger dealers that actually know the product line, CPO for example sells them like underwear, just a huge etailer.  Now, if you can get a deal that is a different story but my first choice is to deal with those that know their product and are part of the online community like Bob and Shane (at Toolnut now, worked for Festool in the past).  

4 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I always support a local business first.  If I can't get it locally then I usually turn to AZ.  Obviously, if the prices are stupid locally then I move on but, FT prices their stuff so, you're going to get the same price on it everywhere.  

I'd buy local as well...if you can. Just so they don't go away :) I get all my stuff at the local Woodcraft if possible.  As has been stated unless you can go "no-tax, credit card rebate" methods you're paying the same everywhere.

There might not be a physical retailer near you, but my choice is a local bricks and mortar store, too.  

There's a lot of products that I want to lay my hands on before I buy, in which case I need to have a bricks and mortar store to go see them in.  So I "try" to do business with them to keep them open.   Doesn't always work.  I pay sales tax, but if I drive there the "shipping" is always free, and for some purchases the shipping is more than the sales tax.  

Well, Woodcraft is at least a franchise so you're kind of supporting "local" business.  But Rockler is purely corporate so you might as well order online at that point (of course they no longer carry Festool but for everything else...).  If you can buy from a true small business that carries Festool, that's great.  Of course you have to eat the tax but maybe it's worth it.  Delaying the inevitable.  Goliath will eat them all eventually, sad but true.

Also, I'll just point out that all these retailers from AZ to the smallest small business...their margins on these machines are razor thin.  Go back and buy all the accessories there if you wanna support them.

9 hours ago, jplemons said:

I suck up the sales tax most of the time and still buy from my local guys unless they are out of stock, and I need something ASAP. They carry a decent selection of lumber as well, so I like to keep them in business, and I live here, so why not pay the tax?

Technically at least for my state for online and mail order purchases your supposed to send the tax in for items that you buy in other states tax free. No one does it, ok well 2 people do it. The tax commissioner and the guy that wants his job.

I buy from Bob Marino.  He tries to give you a little something extra with the order.  For example, if you buy a track saw from him, he includes a custom instruction manual.   It is wire bound, printed on 8.5 X 11 paper, color photos and is actually useful.  Festool manuals are not great and their accessories are not always intuitive.  I know a lot of this stuff is on youtube, but I'd rather flip through a good instruction manual than sit through a 5 minute youtube video.  Bob's manuals are good.  He does that for some other machines too, I believe (not sure if he does for the domino, it is worth asking).  He ships fast.  

We pay tax in illinois on Amazon purchases and in cook county our sales tax rate is 10%, so I no longer buy large purchases from Amazon.  

As an aside, I went to Rockler today to pick up a brake from my sawstop.  I got the last one in stock - she said they only order 5 at a time.  Had I driven 40 minutes each way and they were out of stock I would have went ape crap.   There are so few reasons to go to a physical store and they almost screwed that up. 

13 hours ago, jplemons said:

I suck up the sales tax most of the time and still buy from my local guys unless they are out of stock, and I need something ASAP. They carry a decent selection of lumber as well, so I like to keep them in business, and I live here, so why not pay the tax?

I would buy locally if there was a place to buy. There isn't anything closer than a three hour drive - one way.

14 minutes ago, Keggers said:

I would buy locally if there was a place to buy. There isn't anything closer than a three hour drive - one way.

And that's a great reason to buy on line!

I had this issue locally but, was able to talk with my local lumber dealer and they're now selling Festool so, they get my business for those items.

• Like 1

Some of the local paint shops are carrying the vacs and sanders, so I can at least get paper there, in a pinch.  

I don't know anyone locally that sells the tools.  The closest woodcraft is 40 minutes in no traffic, 2 hours with traffic so I don't go there much.  

Sorry @Mike. for once it pays not to live North.  I'm in the Western Suburbs so I can get to the Woodcraft, Berland's and a new Rockler that just opened fairly easily.

(But if it makes you feel better I work on the Northside, so I get to do that slog every morning, then every evening, then turn around and do it the next day).  

3 hours ago, Keggers said:

I've been there many times for many things. Frustrating as heck because my area has at least a million people but sometimes it's hard to find what I need locally. Luckily, we have at least one Festool supplier. I did use Amazon for my Sawstop, though. I wasn't too trusty of the local dealer, who is also the only Sawstop dealer in the area. If the same guy who sells Festool sold Sawstop, I'd have bought there, especially because with Amazon I paid sales tax anyway.

12 minutes ago, jplemons said:

I've been there many times for many things. Frustrating as heck because my area has at least a million people but sometimes it's hard to find what I need locally. Luckily, we have at least one Festool supplier. I did use Amazon for my Sawstop, though. I wasn't too trusty of the local dealer, who is also the only Sawstop dealer in the area. If the same guy who sells Festool sold Sawstop, I'd have bought there, especially because with Amazon I paid sales tax anyway.

I understand. Most other things I'll try to buy from locally owned businesses, but since I live in a small town, we don't have a lot of choices when it comes to woodworking equipment.