Amazon Prime Shipping has gone to H***

Tom Crawford

Just now, C Shaffer said:

@davewyo you need your post office to get into drone delivery. 

That would be nice. I could supply the drone. I found one crashed out in my backyard last spring.

The perverse thing about packages being handed over to the Post Office is that the Fedex guy has to drive by my street to drop off my package elsewhere. He may deliver a box to my house and then drive to the Post Office to hand off another package from the same order. I think they call it Fedex Smartpost (which I find ironic).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I don't think Amazon has either.

EXTREMELY unlikely. Amazon has one of the top couple of logistics systems in the world. That doesn't mean they do the best thing from OUR point of view but it certainly does mean that they don't do anything by what THEY would consider poor design.

Just now, phinds said:

EXTREMELY unlikely. Amazon has one of the top couple of logistics systems in the world. That doesn't mean they do the best thing from OUR point of view but it certainly does mean that they don't do anything by what THEY would consider poor design.

Agreed.  And I'm not sure if Amazon should be blamed anyway.  If you ordered an item on ebay from a small seller, and he shipped it out in a few hours, then it took five days for UPS or USPS to get it to you, would you blame the seller or the carrier?

Now if it took three days for the item to ship out, different story.  But I seriously doubt that's the issue with late Prime packages.  I would imagine 99% of the trouble is carrier issues.  Amazon contracts the bulk of their shipping with the largest and most efficient carriers in the world...I don't know what else they can do.

16 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Amazon contracts the bulk of their shipping with the largest and most efficient carriers in the world...I don't know what else they can do.

I'm sure that was true but maybe not any more.  OnTrac only serves 6 western states.  And it does not appear to me that Amazon pushes back when a carrier is under performing on their  contract. If they were I would expect 4 straight shipments to be very late.

About a year ago, Amazon started using some courier services for delivery in my area (mostly same day or next day items).  There were some glitches at first, but they have ironed them out and we have not had any problems lately.  

I do think some of these couriers are in it just to find out what neighborhoods are worth robbing, but that is is a different story.   Most recently a guy came around my cul de sac at about 30 mph.   his girlfriend or wife jumped out of the car while it was still moving a bit and ran the package to do door.  Old boy just sat in his grandma's beat up Bonneville smoking a cigarette.  Classy. 

I have had great service out of UPS and Fed Ex.  Three years ago, my wife ordered a watch for one of our grandsons.  She didn't review the address and left part of it off.  Consequently, I found the error and went to the main post office.  Nothing on the shelf as returned for bad address.  The lady at the PO said there is a street with a similar name and it could have been delivered to the number on that street.  I drove and circled the street- nothing even close.  I had told her that UPS recognized the incorrect address and went to the trouble to find the correct address and even deliver two packages at two different times.  Someone got a nice Bob The Builder watch.....for free!

Your comments on mail order are why I rarely order by mail.

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

@davewyo can you get permission to put a mailbox at the intersection they drive by? This would be similar to some old rural route and apartment complex setups. 

No, probably not. Fedex has to hand it over to the USPS by contract I would imagine. Then the post office would put a notice in my box that I have a package. There is no staff to go driving to each roadside box complex. Something like 25 years ago there was a vote and the community decided we wanted PO boxes cuz we like to see our neighbors and chat when we pick up our mail. The population has increased four-fold over the years and now we stand in line and glare at our neighbors.:D Not really, we still chat, but sometimes the inconvenience is a bit much. Then Fedex, UPS, and DHL started dropping stuff at the post office. That is a drag, especially around the holidays, or when you need to get some hinges (stat!).

On 12/3/2016 at 1:36 PM, CandorLush said:

Apparently, this post brought me good luck. Ordered a coffee grinder around 11am yesterday with plain ole two day Prime and it was on my porch at 7am. I have never, in three years, had anything show up before 10am from any carrier, let alone 6:43am, a day earlier than expected.

Couple things might have happened here.  1) The particular item you ordered was in a wharehouse very close to you.  2) You Ordered at just the right time to get your item out the door shortly after placing the order.  3) Holiday Shipping.  Both Amazon and the Carriers step up their games during the holiday rush.  I've found better shipping times during the holidays than during the rest of the year.   

I have one outstanding shipment - shipped Nov 28 with Prime 2 day shipping.  I complained to Amazon and got back a long form letter saying that they gave me an extra month of Prime for free. 

I think there's something up with their shipping.  Several people have told me about unusual Amazon shipping delays.  

A week? Has it been sitting in one location for awhile? At that point, I would go through their "contact us" thing and have them give you a call (last time I had a few options to schedule a time to talk, might have only been like "Now" and "In 10 Minutes") and talk to someone. That is how I was able to get a new item shipped out to me the two times that has happened. once the first item showed up, the other time it didn't but they sent the replacements out next day air or the equivalent. 

On 12/2/2016 at 8:26 PM, Marmotjr said:

Those vans tend to flip over fairly easily, trust me.  They become beaters pretty quickly. 

Speaking from experience here? :P

On 12/3/2016 at 8:41 AM, Eric. said:

I've had hundreds, possibly thousands of Prime items delivered, and I'm not sure I can remember a single one arriving late.  Occasionally packages will be damaged.  That's UPS.  Amazon has always been good about fixing any issues I've ever had.  Also the returns process is the easiest out there.

I guess delivery issues are geographical because I have none.

I have had very little problems, as well, but I live in a very urban part of Idaho (well, suburban where I am but the whole Boise Metro Area is probably the most Urban out of all of Idaho). We also get OnTrac deliveries from time to time but it hasn't ever been an issue (at least as of yet).

On 12/3/2016 at 9:15 AM, davewyo said:

The worse thing is when Fedex or UPS hands it off to the USPS for final delivery. Because we're rural we don't get mail to our door here. We all have PO boxes. So when it's handed over to the Post Office it adds one to three days to the delivery time (and I have to go to the Post Office and stand in line).

THIS is the only times I have had any problems with Amazon shipments. FedEx Smartpost and UPS Surepost... cheaper shipping option because the end delivery is handed off to USPS. I've had things lost in this shuffle before and actually had someone at the USPS tell me that they have a warehouse full of packages that are 'lost' and I could file a claim but it might be months before I recover it, if even at all. My question is, "WTF do they do with all of that crap?! Just keep it?!"

I ended up contacting Amazon and they just sent me another one after confirming with the post office that it had been 'lost'.

Right now I am waiting for a package that was sent via UPS Surepost. It arrived at the local delivery facility on Friday... but because they had to hand it off to USPS, the delivery was set for Tuesday. Granted this wasn't through Amazon but it is another example of how weird things get when USPS gets put in the mix.

The regional issues are definitely real, and often frustrating. I live less than 12 miles from Amazon's headquarters, and there are three warehouses within 15 miles of me. I have had plenty of issues, both in packaging (as it left the warehouse, not just UPS), and delivery (1-day shipping arrived 5 days later).

In particular, I find that any time you select shipping faster than the regular prime 2-day, it tends to backfire.

7 hours ago, MisterDrow said:

Speaking from experience here? :P

Kind of,  I used to work for an EMS service that used the Mercedes Sprinter series (I think Dodge makes them now in the US).  I personally got one on two wheels when I got hit with a wind gust while going over the Valley view bridge on I480.  A coworker got spun sideways on ice, also on I480, and it went right over.   Another coworker caught one wheel slightly in a ditch while backing out a driveway, and it went right over.   Ford E350 chassis won't do this.  I've spun them around more times than I can count (doing ambulance donuts is a joy of mine), and I've never had one tip. 

And we have to remember the OP is talking about prime.   There should be no way that the USPS is involved with prime shipping, as it's guaranteed 2 day. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

And we have to remember the OP is talking about prime.   There should be no way that the USPS is involved with prime shipping, as it's guaranteed 2 day. 

Uh, no. Half of my Prime comes USPS. They are the only ones who deliver on Sunday and that happens routinely for my Friday night weekend planning sessions. 

• Like 1

If you live in a rural area, you can not count on an Amazon Prime showing up on time.  I've ordered several things on Prime and not a one has shown up when promised.  In all fairness tho, we did have one show up early once.

Another reason to buy local if you can.  If you can't, then plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Well I guess I am one of the lucky ones I cannot recall a prime package not arriving on time...I am about an hour north of MPLS so although I would consider it to be rural i'm sure not all would. I probably do 95% of my shopping online because I work from home so it it is easier and faster for me. I would guess that 60-70% of that comes from Amazon.