Tool Chest - Finished

Immortan D

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Just tack the center of the panel and leave about 3" from the corners with no nails . A slight gap on the width would be ideal. A 1/32 each side should be plenty.

There's 1/4" gap all around, so I guess I'm safe! 

20170120_195308.jpg

Sorry for the ugly pic, just a dry fit. The other side has the same gap.

1 hour ago, Anna S said:

that looks amazing!  I tried sketch up once, and ended shortly thereafter buying drafting tools on amazon.  How did you get the planes and other tools in your sketch up design?

Thanks! I got them from the sketchup warehouse, it's a user maintained library of 3D items available right from inside Sketchup.

42 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

This is looking good, D. Your precision dowels are impressive.

Thanks Lester!

• Like 2

Been working on the block plane holder. Started by jointing a few narrow stripes of wood.

2017-01-24 17.34.24.jpg

Then using the planes and a piece of aluminium as separators, I laid out the separators and screwed them in place.

2017-01-24 20.57.20.jpg

And kept going until they were all fitted.

2017-01-24 21.05.13.jpg

I noticed than some of the planes were not sitting properly at the expected angle. I fixed that by chopping mortises to make room for their knobs. I used chisels and a shop made sanding block. I also replaced the side pieces because the screw holes on the previous ones did not have the same layout of the separators.

2017-01-25 14.31.57.jpg

Applied two coats of shellac and installed in the chest.

2017-01-25 15.49.11.jpg

2017-01-25 15.50.34.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Seriously, it has to be around 30-40 lbs of just hand planes. All filled up it could be 60-70lbs?

It is looking great! 

I think you're pretty close. Shouldn't 't lift it now because it could break apart without all the screws that keep everything together and I need the handles before setting those.

That said I lifted it for a fraction of a second and felt like my Bosch glide, close to 70 pounds with the tools. So it won't be a problem for me, I'm always moving that saw to and from the floor sometimes many times a day lol

• Like 1