Tool Chest - Finished

Immortan D

1 minute ago, Llama said:

Why not just build the Dutch style chest? It looks pretty similar, and all the figuring has been done.

It's a nice one but it won't fit in the designated place. I have design constraints related to storage.

1 minute ago, gee-dub said:

Will it come with a gorilla to carry it?  Looks like you've got a good plan going.  I assume this is to be mobile.  Michael Pekovich made a sort of trolley for his box that he takes when teaching / traveling.  3 minutes into this video.

Yeah, it's gonna be pretty heavy! It will sit on a mobile base, but unlike the video it's not going to raise the chest more than a few inches.

That looks great, Daniel. I would add a moat around it and turn those drop down doors into draw bridges. Then you could have fun driving the planes in and out everytime you use them. Just keep an eye out for attacking veritas planes before you lower the draw bridge.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

That looks great, Daniel. I would add a moat around it and turn those drop down doors into draw bridges. Then you could have fun driving the planes in and out everytime you use them. Just keep an eye out for attacking veritas planes before you lower the draw bridge.

LOL Shane!

22 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Made a few changes to make it more aesthetically pleasant. I'm getting closer to what I think I need.

t7.JPG

Looks good, D!

Didn't you make a super nice case for your measuring and marking tools a while back? I see where your first diagram indicates measuring and marking tools. Does the case fit in that top tray?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Looks good, D!

Didn't you make a super nice case for your measuring and marking tools a while back? I see where your first diagram indicates measuring and marking tools. Does the case fit in that top tray?

Thanks Dave!

That space will be devoted to small hand planes and only those marking tools that don't fit in the other case, such as wheel and panel marking gauges, a 6" combination square and a mallet.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 0:43 PM, shaneymack said:

Daniel, do you really have six block planes?

That will be able to sit at that angle, I have 3:

* LN low angle block plane

* LN skew rabbet block plane (right)

* Stanley standard angle block plane.

I'm planning on getting the left version of skew rabbet. Additionally, the chisel plane may fit there too freeing some space for other things.

So a projected total of 5 planes for that spot. But the Stanley is wider than the LN planes pictured in my design.

I'm not sure on the design of the back panel of the exterior structure:

t13.JPG

The way I see it, structurally speaking, this panel will only be responsible of holding the top cover in place in the open position.

I'm thinking about these options:

1) Build just like the front door, joint with interlocked rabbets to the sides.

2) Solid wood, joint with dowels to the sides

3) Ply?

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

If you are going to this much effort and are going to be setting up to make frame and panel doors you should make the back frame and panel too. Why cut corners at this point ?

You're right. I thought the back had to be different in design to the front door because it's inset. So I was thinking in making that asymmetry even more drastic with a solid back.

• 2 weeks later...