Tool Chest - Finished

Immortan D

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

nice progress D, looks great. hardware installation is my least favorite part of woodworking even though in means the end is near, i think of it as one last chance to screw things up:blink:

Thanks Dave!

Yeah, been there done that, that's why I make those templates, which may seem like a waste of time but they take all the stress out of the maneuver lol.

• Like 1

Fixing issues now. Toothpicks to the rescue. Have to drill those hinge holes again.

2017-01-27 20.59.19.jpg

And there's another issue in this very same frame. As one can tell from the pic, when I mortised for the hinges I did it on the wrong side of the frame, so I had no choice but to extend those mortises to the other side. Not sure how to fix this.

7 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

when I mortised for the hinges I did it on the wrong side of the frame, so I had no choice but to extend those mortises to the other side. Not sure how to fix this.

do you have to fix it? will it be noticeable to anyone but you? a small piece glued in i think would not be noticed to anyone.

• Like 1

Fitting of the LN beading tool.

I want the top bin to be a project area instead of a permanent setting for tools. So no tool fitting will take place there, except for a small slider tray for pencils and marking knives. So I started looking for spots for the small planes and eventually I ended up moving all of them out of the bin.

2017-01-28 15.18.35.jpg

The spot for the beading tool was half way into the "tunnel" so I had two choices: taking the whole chest apart and then reassemble, or just deal with the spot and so I did.

I nailed a small jig together to mark the position of the holes, referencing the floor and the edge of the tunnel.

2017-01-28 14.37.52.jpg 

Using the jig I marked the holes and drilled with the "precision drill" lol

2017-01-28 14.36.48.jpg

Now that tool is quickly becoming a lifesaver in this project.

I installed brass hooks and turned out well, easy to store and retrieve the beading tool without interference from other tools.

2017-01-28 14.47.23.jpg 

• Like 2

I glue glass into doors using Lexcel clear caulk. It dries extremely clear, slightly flexible and keeps the glass from rattling. I lay the glass in a rabbet and wipe the caulk with a finger dipped in mineral spirits . It might take a couple days to dry but I've been doing it this way for over 25 years and it's held up to the test of time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I glue glass into doors using Lexcel clear caulk. It dries extremely clear, slightly flexible and keeps the glass from rattling. I lay the glass in a rabbet and wipe the caulk with a finger dipped in mineral spirits . It might take a couple days to dry but I've been doing it this way for over 25 years and it's held up to the test of time.

That elastomeric product seems like a better solution than the silicone I've been using. Thanks Steve!