Tool Chest - Finished

Immortan D

4 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Sweet tool chest man.

Thanks Mark!

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Where are you getting this brass hardware, as in the hooks and the items in the last two pics?

I went to a local locksmith store and spent about half an hour inspecting items and trying to figure out how to use them on my door lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

It looks very nice!

I've got to ask, what does it weigh when fully loaded?

Thanks Steve!

Haven't weighted it yet, but's pretty darn heavy!. I only have a bathroom scale, so I will have to weight it pretending it's a truck with a semi lol

26 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

I missed the saws in the lid update. That's killer. It's looking really clean, D. Not much left to go eh?

What kind of saws are those?

Thanks Les! Yep, almost done. I will keep it spartan, will not add decorations.

Those are LN dovetail and carcass saws.

On 21/3/2017 at 8:57 PM, wdwerker said:

I've got to ask, what does it weigh when fully loaded?

I tried to weight it with the bathroom scale to no avail. I tried one half at a time, using a piece of wood of the same height of the scale for the other half, but doesn't seem to work. I don't know if it is my method or the scale, which is a piece of crap BTW. I cannot weight myself together with the chest because something will break for sure (the scale AND/OR the chest, and most certainly my back!).

11 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Looking good Dan. Maybe you have a fishing buddy who might have a set of weighing scales to lend you. Another alternative is a truck weighbridge. They are suprisingly accurate and you could buy the operator a beverage.

Thanks Terry. I have a lot of fishing buddies but none with that equipment. The weighbridge is a great idea, there is one just a couple of miles from my office.

But I think I will remove all the tools from the chest, weigh it on the bathroom scale, weigh the tools, make a spreadsheet, and hire a homeboy to make the calculations :D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Sounds like a lot of effort to answer an off the cuff question. I appreciate the time and dedication you have spent ! 

My curiosity was could the chest be carried while full ? And if not isn't it just a small cabinet?

It turned out very nice !

Yes, it can, but requires two people. I mean, I can lift it alone, move it quickly from one place to the other, but I wouldn't walk it for more than a couple of feet.

Anyways making it fully portable wasn't my intention. Since I don't have a shop where to hang a cabinet, a big chest seemed my only option to have all my hand tools organized and close to me when I'm working. 

It is more a small cabinet than it is a toolbox. I will put it on casters, make it disappear under a desk when it's  not in use.

• Like 1