Spindle Sanders at Lowes

Seth Clayton

First of all, how many of you own a spindle sander?  Do you think that they're an important piece of a well equipped shop?  Lowes can order two different models, one by Triton and one by Rockwell (Shop Series).  They're both 3.5 amp, but the Rockwell unit is about $15 more expensive.  The two machines look very similar...is there really any difference?  Are either any good?

First of all, how many of you own a spindle sander?  Do you think that they're an important piece of a well equipped shop?  Lowes can order two different models, one by Triton and one by Rockwell (Shop Series).  They're both 3.5 amp, but the Rockwell unit is about $15 more expensive.  The two machines look very similar...is there really any difference?  Are either any good?

I use my Home Depot spindle/belt sander frequently...so for me it's essential. I like the versatility of the combo unit personally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also find my Grizzly G0529 to be a workhorse around the shop.  If you have not found yourself needing one for a specific function, I would hold off.  I do a fair amount of G&G style stuff.  That along with the occasional request for a Maloof-alike keep me in curve and compound angle territory and a spindle is very handy.

I too had the Ridgid spindle belt unit and for $200 with a Lifetime Service Agreement it was a jewel.  Alas I found I used the belt more than the spindle.  I sold it and picked up a large oscillating belt sander.  All too soon I noticed the lack of a spindle and the G0529 filled the bill with the bonus of a 12" disc.

All that being said, if you have not found yourself needing one I would wait on acquiring one.  Shop space is all too scarce to fill with things you might find useful.  I would love to have a stroke sander but, I don't truly need one and I accomplish these tasks another way without issue. This saves me a ton of room (and money). 

Getting by without something is a sure way to hone the actual value of 'said thing' to you.  Gather your tools as the needs appear. You will spend less, have more efficient use of space and have a better idea of what you actually want when the time comes. ;)

39 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I also find my Grizzly G0529 to be a workhorse around the shop.  If you have not found yourself needing one for a specific function, I would hold off.  I do a fair amount of G&G style stuff.  That along with the occasional request for a Maloof-alike keep me in curve and compound angle territory and a spindle is very handy.

I too had the Ridgid spindle belt unit and for $200 with a Lifetime Service Agreement it was a jewel.  Alas I found I used the belt more than the spindle.  I sold it and picked up a large oscillating belt sander.  All too soon I noticed the lack of a spindle and the G0529 filled the bill with the bonus of a 12" disc.

All that being said, if you have not found yourself needing one I would wait on acquiring one.  Shop space is all too scarce to fill with things you might find useful.  I would love to have a stroke sander but, I don't truly need one and I accomplish these tasks another way without issue. This saves me a ton of room (and money). 

Getting by without something is a sure way to hone the actual value of 'said thing' to you.  Gather your tools as the needs appear. You will spend less, have more efficient use of space and have a better idea of what you actually want when the time comes. ;)

I have not missed the machine that's for sure.  The price made it attractive from an ease of access standpoint.  What I really want is a good jointer.  While I could afford (and sneak it into the shop) a spindle sander, buying one puts me farther away from affording a jointer.  At the moment, I make a lot of boxes and straight/square projects.  Sounds like the spindle is probably not a necessity just yet. 

I have the Triton spindle sander.  I use it quite a lot. Mostly for making patterns for curve table aprons and similar pieces.  It is great for concave curves.  A belt sander (flat surface would be better for convex curves but I have learned that, with the proper light touch, I can get a smooth curve on convex surfaces. 

I have had no problems with it and, with an adapter from Rockwell to fit my shop vac hose, the dust collection is quite good.

20 hours ago, Glen Bridges said:

I love my spindle sander. My sander is from Harbor Freight. I realized I am using it more and more. Even though my sander is from Harbor Freight it works great. I have no regrets buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been eyeing their spindal sander and then also their 1" belt sander.    

The designs of both are so similar to the Rikons, Rigid, Wood River, etc.  And with the 20 or 25% coupons picking up both would be affordable 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Ridgid belt/spindle sander a year or so after it came out and loved it. Then I had a project that needed a lot of parts sanded on the osselating belt. I pushed that little machine until it overheated and died. I went right out and bought another one ! It's still a quite useful tool in my shop. Eventually I needed bigger capacity and bought a Jet 6" x 89" osselating belt edge sander. But the little Ridgid is quite useful and the spindles get used more these days. Strongly recommend that sander !

• Like 1

I have a floor spindle sander and love it (Shop Fox W1686). I use that thing much more than I thought I would. However I never liked the little benchtop ones that everyone seems to own. IMO the tables are too small, dust collection is never good enough, they are made of a lot of plastic and they have to be bolted down to something to be stable enough to use. Many people seem to love them though, they just didnt do it for me.