Planer Jigs ... Which one?

bushwacked

The one in the first pic is OK if you only use it a couple of times.  I built the one in the second pic on a Saturday many years ago and still use it when stuff exceeds my 8" jointer; works great.  The ShopNotes version is more elegant and if the design had been around (or I had been smart enough to do something like it) I would build that one.

5938206785edc_planersledcovershot.JPG.163a068ffc24e6a522e78b883c4e4b82.JPG

A planer sled is something that when you need it, you want it to work, well.  If you need something to tide you over until you can afford a larger jointer, I would build the second one or the ShopNotes version.  that way, if like me, you only get an 8" jointer the sled will still come in handy several times a year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vyrolan said:

You'd rule out Lou Malnati's...blasphemous.

Pizano's.  Same pizza but they only have a few locations and deliver to my house.  It is owned by Lou's brother Rudy (some kind of family dispute....).  

The only chain I enjoy is Imo's...and I'm pretty sure they're just a local chain...at least they started here in St. Louis.  Don't know if they've spread to other states.  The rest of them are dog vomit.  But I'll eat anything after a dozen beers.

• Haha 1

Just now, RichardA said:

I think Papa John's uses Campbell's tomato soup for sauce.  Total yuck!

I believe they also use recycled tires for their cheese.  Didn't stop the Papa from becoming a gazillionaire...he thanks dog for America's terrible taste every night.  You know it's bad pizza when you'd rather just eat the pepperoncinis.

• Like 2

A buddy turned me on to bacon and jalapeno pizza a couple years ago.  It's awesome...and comes out just as fiery as it goes down.

I'm a fan of chicken jalapeño and pineapple pizza. Don't knock it till you try it.

Sweet and spicy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Black_Lantern_Corps.jpg

Thread necro!

I couldn't resist...  Lou's is by far the best pizza.  Period.  For thin crust, I go either The Quonset in Waukegan, IL or D'Agostino's  for their Italian Beef and giardinera.

@Llama, did you get any Portillio's beef in that lovely care package?  Or Eli's Cheesecake?  

I've gotta go to lunch...

Someone, please, run a pizza through that jig and get it over with!

... elsewhere ...

#1 NY thin crust

#2 Chicago

If you have adventurous children, try Happy Joe's (if you can find one). Sauerkraut & Canadian Bacon!

But if you must have frozen, have a DiGiorno's.

• 2 years later...

With the 6 inch jointer take a look at the way that Mike Pekovich works.  Take off the guard.  Clamp a simple board and plywood guard onto the fence.  Then joint your board to about 1/8th.  Take a 6 inch piece of plywood (or whatever comes to) and put it into the groove and plane the other side.  Then flip it over and take off what’s left.  *(Google it there are pictures.).  I don’t have a jointer or room.  So going to make do with a sled and an L fence and my hand planes.   

To the OP - you're going to get a hand plane eventually anyway, why not now, and the jointer later?

If you're going to work wood, you'll end up with at least half a dozen planes (probably more), as well as your jionter and your planer. Best to bite the bullet early :)

To the pizza lovers/haters, I like to make my own from scratch but I eat pizza nowadays about once a year. The best pizza I ever had was one of mine. In France I had better pizza than I had in Italy *shrug* but didn't like the French food that much. *shrug*

• Like 1