Pretty decent wood deal/wood id

Cliff

Turns out a cousin I've never bothered to meet (my family is odd, these things happen) was a woodworker and called it quits. My brother got in contact and got a price. $150. I said yes sight unseen. I figured unless it's nothing but pine offcuts, then it's probably going to be worth it. 

It came on my bro's trailer that he carts cars around on. 

1.thumb.jpg.87982faaf550529a20293f37664951bc.jpg

Right away I saw a couple of 3 3/4" walnut boards, about 8-9 inches wide,  around 3 foot long. 

2.thumb.jpg.4fcfdd56f0ea4d91a33bde3d4201e7af.jpg

I saw this board, which.. looks like oak to me but has wild grain. I don't know if it's just figured red oak or something else?

3.thumb.jpg.d6a60a0a44d9217c89e560458a8c0f8a.jpg

Saw this, I have no idea what it is, looks cool. It's a weird size, I'm guessing he kept it because it looks cool. My guess is birds eye maple, but I've never actually looked at a piece up close before. 

4.thumb.jpg.677063cb3ff8b2a16987e113bdadc2b6.jpg

Ended up with a giant pile of offcuts that may not be that useful, no pic of that cause who cares - though there was a 3' 5/4 piece of purpleheart in it. Oh and probably 5-10 2" square walnut table leg sized pieces.

This was the big stuff, left is all walnut, I think. There was a couple of boards that were in the 16" wide x 10' long range. And more than a few that were BADLY cupped or warped. The right pile is a mix of hickory, red oak, black oak, pine, white oak. 

6.thumb.jpg.3ea1ece96951d09f7e060abe9e593359.jpg

Then these short, thick but definitely usable pieces of walnut, including the two 3 3/4" pieces. 

7.thumb.jpg.1d6836c8b5807f8e3a37f2962ef5f20c.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the $150 for this. My wife is less pleased that I had to start stacking wood in the basement. Just the start though, I got about 250 bdft of pin oak drying and 3 full walnut trees that need to be ran through a bandsaw mill - including one that is 33" at the base and 55" at the crotch. All of that will have to move to the basement once it hits the 1 year per inch timeline. 

• Like 2

I'm rethinking this.

Plenty of Wood                      Vs.                   No one To Share It With (Pissed Off Wife)

$150.                                      Vs.                   Child Support & Alimony

Close Call:wacko:

• Like 1

The piece of oak in question is more likely white rather than red.  I'm 95% sure.

The other one does look like BE in the one clear spot...but man that board is in bad shape...

If you were so inclined, you could probably make a few cutting boards with the weakest scraps and sell them to recoup your entire expense, so it's not a loss if you look at it that way.  Kind of a rough looking pile but sight unseen is risky business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric. said:

The piece of oak in question is more likely white rather than red.  I'm 95% sure.

The other one does look like BE in the one clear spot...but man that board is in bad shape...

If you were so inclined, you could probably make a few cutting boards with the weakest scraps and sell them to recoup your entire expense, so it's not a loss if you look at it that way.  Kind of a rough looking pile but sight unseen is risky business.

That's really what I'm thinking too. Cutting boards to recoup. Even the most warped pieces should be able to be used for cutting boards or coasters for xmas gifts. I think some of it got pretty wet at some point. 

In my opinion the real prizes are the 2+ inch thick pieces of walnut cause they should be pretty good for table legs and such. I have 2 upcoming projects that I want to use those for. And there are other pieces of walnut that look like they came right from the mill.

That's interesting that you think it's white oak. I would never have thought. But I trust your opinion over mine on that. Even that really bad looking piece of maybe-birds eye maple - might be able to get jewelry box drawer fronts out of.

2 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

Man... With the gear you've got, the shop you're building, and the wood you've got stocked up, you're all set to build some awesome things. I'm looking forward to what you come up with. I think that's a good haul.

I really hope you are right :) I need to step my game up. I'm still basically a 1 year old woodworker, cause I didn't do anything during the winter, and been doing this for 2 years. My winter hobby is buying tools I guess. But things are starting to click for me and I'm starting to see my mistakes as they happen when building (like sanding friggin joinery faces) and I think the next project I might just see them before they happen. That will be the key for me.

14 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I nicely explain that I am buying material, not boards. ;)

I need to make a plaque for the lumberyard:

"You're buying material, not boards."

Well put.  I can't tell you how many times every day someone tries to haggle over a knot or a check, as if it's not part of wood.  I'm surprised I've never heard, "I don't really like how the grain changes on this side of the board...can I get half off for this?"

• Like 1

I will take the other 5% of Eric's 95% on the "mystery oak" board and say Elm.  It appears that there is some feathering between the cathedral grain, which is typical of elm, but it is hard to tell from photos 

looks like a good deal for $150.  at least it will keep you busy for a few days, and that is worth the price of admission. 

Cliff, Eric is correct that the piece you think is birdseye maple IS birdseye maple.

If you particularly need ID on any of them you can send me a cutoff for ID (or just post better pics including closeups of cleaned up end grain)

18 hours ago, Cliff said:

Interesting. First, I didn't know elm was so cool looking, but I see similarities. I'll have to run it over the jointer to clean it up and throw some mineral spirits on it to see it better. 

Elm I pulled from google - 

Elm is an under rated species.  Pieces with nice, swirly straight grain (oxymoron, I know... but I am talking about swirly non-cathedral grain) it can be absolutely stunning.   The QS english elm in the link are amazing, IMO.  Makes me want to have a log custom cut (despite the name English elm does grow here). 

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/elm, american.htm

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/elm, english.htm

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

But that's white oak. :D

We know your record on internet white oak ID...you thought mine was hickory. LOL

1) your white oak was some kind of mutant species

2) that is why i said 5%. 

There are at least two of these boards. Both dead straight.

Here is two pics under the basement fluorescent lights. 

20170615_184848.thumb.jpg.23162bda102d1e99d9c7a7b513fec934.jpg

20170615_184853.thumb.jpg.d51c4402b540d7eb60ada9d12f1a7552.jpg

After running smoothing and block planes over it. Both of which need sharpened and cambored :( The grain tore the hell out, I can tell ya that.

20170615_185647.thumb.jpg.7304e5697fe39289b2ae630e40f25dbf.jpg

Added mineral spirits

20170615_185732.thumb.jpg.02684bce974988cc53815b7216d9450b.jpg

20170615_185750.thumb.jpg.4d28df98ad2f828ff63f1a7e10a3427b.jpg

Sap - not planed, little bit of mineral spirits (the rag was drying)

20170615_185810.thumb.jpg.9ecb8da26df0c831acc58f1aca524619.jpg

End grain

20170615_185959.thumb.jpg.6cb3dc2257da923139a98bcaed092078.jpg