Grizzly G1023RLW First Impressions

LazarusDB

A lot of value in that saw.  I'm happy with my 0690...the only Grizzly I'm happy with.

I don't use my blade guard.  I feel it's more dangerous with it on because it obscures your view.  I keep the riving knife in always unless I'm using the dado stack or some weird cut that requires removal.  Use your brain and the saw is perfectly safe without the obnoxious blade guard.  Riving knife and proper technique is much more important.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello nice review,

I am considering this saw as well verses investing a few hundred dollars to upgrade my old 1984 Craftsman 10" Contractors Saw.   The saw is clean and works fine, however the fence is horrible as is the miter feature.  I am considering purchasing either the INCRA 32" Fence system or the Very Super Cools T-Square.  The later would require some fabrication and the cost is a bit less.   My question is how did you like that fence and do you use it on your new Grizzley 1023RLW?

1 hour ago, Gary Karczewski said:

Hello nice review,

I am considering this saw as well verses investing a few hundred dollars to upgrade my old 1984 Craftsman 10" Contractors Saw.   The saw is clean and works fine, however the fence is horrible as is the miter feature.  I am considering purchasing either the INCRA 32" Fence system or the Very Super Cools T-Square.  The later would require some fabrication and the cost is a bit less.   My question is how did you like that fence and do you use it on your new Grizzley 1023RLW?

Hi Gary,

My old Craftsman was from 1992 and I thought it was fine too until I got this saw. HOLY COW!! This saw is a complete joy to use. My advice is to not invest another dime in the Craftsman...you won't regret it. For now, I'm completely happy with the Shop Fox fence...accurate and true. I grin ear to ear every time I walk into the shop and see my new saw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Karczewski said:

Hi Drzaius,

I presume you use the stock Biesemeyer Fence for your Saw Stop saw correct? 

SawStop has 2 fences; the "premium" fence (which it certainly is not) and the T-glide, which is a Bies clone. And it's a good fence, very solid. The only complaint I have is the way the locking handle sticks almost straight out. I sometimes run into it with predictable results :( 

Thought I'd give a little update after two weeks use. The saw continues to be a complete joy to use. The ease of change blade height and angle is great. The accuracy of the fence continues to surprise me. I find myself changing between my ripping blade and crosscut blades so much more often than I used to because it's so easy and effortless. I have noticed the small cut off pieces go flying much more often...faster and farther. All of this in comparison to my old saw as my only reference.

I did take off 7 of the lawyer approved safety/warning stickers. The remaining plaque has all the specs and is more like a plexiglass plaque, not a sticker, so I'm a bit more nervous about taking it off. Don't want to ruin the paint. Looks much better now. :)

59b6edf0ed78d_2017-09-1115_56_13.thumb.jpg.19f54add93ee9dd46345de397698cec8.jpg

Now I wonder why I waited so long. Next up is the G0490X jointer if/when it's back in stock.

Only major US purchases are my Grizzly TS, BS and Jointer.  All in same order.

I get lots of small orders from US.   I also live in a border city so some things can get shipped to a depot in US and picked up by my wife on her cross-border trips.

The only big issue is the customs fees and handling charges from the shipping company.

• Thanks 1