Dog Bed Frame

gee-dub

Thanks guys. With the time change it wasn't as late as I thought so I got a little more done before knocking off.

There are a couple of voids on the back where they will never show . . . of course I have to fill them.  If nothing else, it's practice.  A tiny drop of black dye in some epoxy is more than enough for these two.

5a01211fccc4d_DogBedFrame(15).jpg.8f08e9a8705a4c164f88cfeece2a2c99.jpg

5a0121206bb8d_DogBedFrame(16).jpg.bc4765dd8a52993ca6e9c0bf8fb3a562.jpg

5a01212102a3e_DogBedFrame(17).jpg.d72a729827db5d693dfa19ee826967ff.jpg

I go ahead and mark out the curves for the front piece and cut them out on the bandsaw.

5a01212192116_DogBedFrame(18).jpg.9077d73c46a5a8cb1b627c805f07aba9.jpg

5a0121222e46a_DogBedFrame(19).jpg.39a74a0ebec9e843aae01d5b488e79c3.jpg

That outta do it for now . . . 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Now that’s one spoiled puppy! I guess I’m in the minority here about breaking down boards as I use my circ saw. What kind of blade do you use? 

Yes she is.  I use a circ saw for thinner stock and sheet goods.  I use a Bosch T101BF in the jig saw for things up to about 6/4.  Takes up a lot less room than a CMS.  I've got a longer blade for thicker stock.  The Bosch cuts like 'buttah' with the right blade for the task.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I feel like there has been a lot of hate on CMSs lately. I mean i agree with the points but it seems all of a sudden.

Sorry, I didn't mean to contribute to any hate-fest :).  I have a CMS out in the shed.  When I need to cut long thin stock I roll it out and use it.  If I did a lot of that sort of thing I would definitely make room for one in my shop.  I only use one every few years so mine is relegated to the shed but, you notice I still have one ;).

4 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to contribute to any hate-fest :).  I have a CMS out in the shed.  When I need to cut long thin stock I roll it out and use it.  If I did a lot of that sort of thing I would definitely make room for one in my shop.  I only use one every few years so mine is relegated to the shed but, you notice I still have one ;).

I didn't mean to accuse you of that sorry. It just kinda surprised me that some people loved them and then all of a sudden the tides turned. I do too many construction type projects to not have one. Beings that i had space and it worked I got it calibrated to be accurate. The thing is a terrible dust mess though and that is annoying. Sorry now i feel like i sullied your wonderful build with some negativity.

3 hours ago, bushwacked said:

it is a shop notes sled ... 

ShopNotes has a much more elegant solution:

5938206785edc_planersledcovershot.JPG.163a068ffc24e6a522e78b883c4e4b82.JPG

Mine is from a Keith Rust article in Fine Woodworking.  If the ShopNotes version had been around back when I made one, I would have made theirs . . . Of course that's easy to say now ;-)  The Keith Rust version can be made in a few hours though.  I used stair tread anti-slip for the cleats and the wedges and it's still working. Mine is 60” long.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...