Keepsake Urns

gee-dub

13 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Where did the pattern carved on the lids come from ?  How was it carved?

An over-sized blank is double-stick taped to a larger panel that is clamped to the bench.  I start with a 3/8" round nose bit in a small router and make a random pattern of variable-depth grooves.  I follow this with a 1/2" round nose to make the pattern even more random. I finish it up with a standard length 3/8" carving gouge and a couple of small palm gouges. 

11 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I start with a 3/8" round nose bit in a small router and make a random pattern of variable-depth grooves.

Beautiful work as usual @gee-dub, just curious, i saw an episode of Wordsmith Shop shop on PBS a couple of weeks ago where they did the same thing on the top with a router and different size bits, is that where your inspiration came from? i would like to try that some day it adds a different dimension that is a great looking effect, you nailed it.

Short answer; yes.  I don't get the TV show but, couldn't remember where I saw it  As I recall it was just a couple of pages in the back of an issue; almost just mentioned in passing.  It caught my eye and I always wanted to give it a go.  I went looking at Woodsmith, Finewoodworking and others as I recalled seeing the technique in a magazine but, I never could find it.  I had to fake it; I certainly didn't think it up :rolleyes:

I have the Woodsmith online library but, could only find the 'scalloped' box top which is a different (and also fun looking) technique. There was also an angled lid for a dresser valet but, again a little different.  I'm going to see if I can find the TV episode online.  Maybe there is an easier way to do it :D. Either way, I would give it a try.  It certainly adds an interesting element and I could see it as a door panel on a small wall hanging cabinet or other accent panel.

Thanks everyone. I'll snap some completed pics as soon as the finish cures. Cooler weather seems to be slowing the cure time down a bit.

Shellac sealer coat followed by a 1:1:1 blend of varnish, mineral spirits and BLO (so pretty much shop made ARS ^_^) with a few drops of Transtint "Dark Walnut".  I use just enough dye to maintain the walnut's color as these will be mantel pieces and exposed to sunlight.

42 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Tough to get a good shot of these.  The curved sides catch reflections of nearby objects and the ripples in the top are a challenge.  This is about as good as I can get. 

In this case you can shoot the messenger.

Bounce your flash strait at the ceiling and down over the boxes it'll help a lot with the reflections. If you don't have an external flash a sheet of paper at a 45 degree angle or maybe your hand would do the same thing. Examples below.

Pointed strait ahead

Morris Chair 018 Share.jpg

angled strait up the camera in the example looks the same as the the one i used to take the picture.

Morris Chair 019 Share.jpg