Soft-start: take it or leave it?

raymondinn

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum from South Dakota.

I'm curious, what are everyone's thoughts on the soft-start function? I have an older ryobi miter saw that works great, however, it bucks like a bronc when I squeeze the trigger. It annoys the crap out of me but I cannot justify a new saw for my usage at the moment. Does anyone else have this issue like I do? If there were an aftermarket soft-start option for a decent price, would you buy one? I'm looking for Feedback to check demand for that kind of product.

Sorry for the long post.

Will

Welcome to the forums.  I have only had experience with a soft start feature on my routers.  When it comes to hand held with the larger HP,  having the soft start is almost a safety feature.  I am not sure it would serve any real purpose on other tools.

My tracksaw has soft start. It doesn't jump when you pull the trigger, it winds up to speed in a few seconds. 

When you are using a large bit (1 1/2" roundover= 3 1/2 OD bit !!!!! ) in a 3hp router that weighs about 18 lbs handheld for most of the day you really appreciate that soft-start.  Rockwell originally used it on motors in the Space Shuttle. Porter Cable was a division of Rockwell at the time. 

• Like 1

I like the soft start feature in my 3hp Makita router. What I don't like is the electromagnetic brake. It's so powerful that it will move the router each time I release the trigger. Funny thing is that the brake disables automagically when I set the router upside down but there's no option to turn it off manually. On the other hand, electromagnetic brakes are a great thing to have in your SCMS: the blade stops almost instantly when I release the trigger.

I think to answer the question, that bucking upon start up you are getting is going to be pretty normal for most mitre saws. I kapex starts slowly but that may just be the wimpy motor in it : )

I have personally never seen a soft start plug and play addition for tools to add the feature.

I'm not to sure that there is an aftermarket soft start for miter saws. From my understanding there is a fair amount of electronic trickery involved to make soft start and variable speed possible. If it were an induction motor a VFD would be possible but any option would require rewiring the trigger of the miter saw. I don't know the best option for you other than hold on tight or try and find a saw that doesn't have as much kick.

12 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Depends on the tool.  If the tool is bucking than a soft-start would certainly be desirable. If the tool is heavy enough to counteract the startup torque, then not so much.  For hand held things like a powerful router, soft start is a blessing as far as I'm concerned.  

Soft Start / speed control also limits the inrush current on start, so lights don't dim and breakers don't trip. Could be good in under-powered garage shops.