Shop Storage Shed

Chestnut

I need some storage both shop (wood) and house related stuff (lawn mower, Christmas lights, ect). So I'm designing a shed to be built spring of this year. I'm going to use this thread for the ideas and also as a journal for those that want to follow along. My goal is to make the shed as large as possible while not having to pull a permit. For my area sheds under 15' tall and 200 sq ft do not require a permit.

Over all plan is to have 10' walls and a foot print of 14'x12' with 4' of covered porch off the front. I really want to do timber framing for the porch. My goal is to make this nice aesthetically as well as useful. It's going to be located on a part of my lot that will make it in direct sight from the main portion of the house so making it look right is higher on my priority.

This is where you all come in. I have 2 rough designs pick them apart tear them to pieces with what ever feedback or critiques you can think of. I shall subject this to the hive mind.

Shed.thumb.jpg.5e18e02d64928a8e5835e13abed5f295.jpg

5a8f110c7ec8d_Shedv2.png.thumb.jpg.53c21748b5414426875bcf167ce9385b.jpg

The 2nd design came about because of the high wall height. it might look a bit visually odd for such a tall building to have an overhand roof like that so the 2ndd roof line was proposed by my dad. The more i look at it the more i like it but it still seems a bit off. The front porch will only be 4' with 5' of overhand basically enough to sit under during a gentle rain storm.  There will be no railing as i plan to have the porch as close to ground level as possible. The timbers shown will be the foundation and will be dug in and placed on rock. I plan to have through trusses to allow storage in the attic I also kind of want to put 2 hex windows on the gabel ends for light in the attic. 10 year old me wants to make the attic but leave it empty for an additional place to chill.

Materials are construction materials, treated lumber, possibly steel roofing, cedar for the timber framing. I don't know if i should put gutters on it. I also will stub conduit for a future electrical run (I don't have panel space to do it now). Because of the small size i am tempted to use a hardwood for the decking.

Grab your red pen and let the bloodbath begin!

9 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I would probably either do the covered porch along the length of the roof... So one side of the roof is just longer...

Or enclose that upper portion of your first image, so the inside of the shed has a storage loft.

I don't want to do that because i don't like the look of it and i don't really want it to add to the square footage of the shed in case it goes over the 200 sq ft and the city finds out.

37 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Drew, I did a shed build journal a few years back. Have a look if you are interested. Pretty basic but maybe you will get something from it. 

It just re-confirmed that A. your an animal B. Are you sure your not pitbull? and C. did i miss what the 1x3s were for on the outside?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Or enclose that upper portion of your first image, so the inside of the shed has a storage loft.

I like this option as well.  You could add a "carport" type roof to one side for a riding lawnmower or lawn tractor. May be an eyesore depending how its done or utilized.

I don't really like the look of the Gambrel roof and it really would look odd with the look of our house house. I'll have to measure the space but anything on  the sides isn't much of an option because the space width is limited. I have trees close on both sides where i want this to be located.

I totally forgot about dormers. I could drop the height by 1'. The plan with the 10; walls was to have more attic space where the main ceiling would be at 8' so.

Nixing all the drcorative stuff runing the porch roof like this might be worth a 3d model.

victorian_house_plan_pearl_42-010_front.

I attached a pic of the shed I built at the back of our yard. It is 12x14 with 8' walls. Main roof pitch is 8/12 and shed roof is 3/12. I went with the shed dormer off the side to let in more light and also give more interior space. Also was trying to mimic the look of our house.
I built this all myself from digging the foundation to laying the surrounding stone so feel free to ask any questions you have. Happy to share my experiences.
As far as your design goes.....
Are 10' walls a must? On a structure this small the 10' walls are a bit out of proportion with the length of the walls.  It just looks a bit strange. 8' walls will give plenty of interior space.
No matter what I would run your roof longer on each side (R&L) to create some overhang. The double gable on the front looks a bit odd. If you must do 10' walls you could lessen the front overhang of the main gable and then run a shed roof in place of the smaller gable. That would give you the porch space you wanted and break up the front wall. Would also possibly allow for a window at the top of the main gable.
5a8f2799d4e8a_SHEDCOMPLETE.thumb.JPG.c08878768fa06ce49fd3d4afe7074174.JPG
Wow. Amazing shed! I could live in that thing !!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

It just re-confirmed that A. your an animal B. Are you sure your not pitbull? and C. did i miss what the 1x3s were for on the outside?

A- yes I'm an animal

B- definitely not pitbull, I'm way better looking. We've been over this before !

C- To attach the siding

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It's going a direction i like. This is quite rough but gets the idea across.

Not sure what you mean steve. Beings that i'm going to be doing all the excavating with a shovel and my own two hands i don't really want to dig a root cellar. As awesome as it would be.

Shed v3.jpg

That looks so much better! The porch roof helps to visually balance the wall height.

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

I attached a pic of the shed I built at the back of our yard. It is 12x14 with 8' walls. Main roof pitch is 8/12 and shed roof is 3/12. I went with the shed dormer off the side to let in more light and also give more interior space. Also was trying to mimic the look of our house.

I built this all myself from digging the foundation to laying the surrounding stone so feel free to ask any questions you have. Happy to share my experiences.

Are 10' walls a must? On a structure this small the 10' walls are a bit out of proportion with the length of the walls.  It just looks a bit strange. 8' walls will give plenty of interior space.

No matter what I would run your roof longer on each side (R&L) to create some overhang. The double gable on the front looks a bit odd. If you must do 10' walls you could lessen the front overhang of the main gable and then run a shed roof in place of the smaller gable. That would give you the porch space you wanted and break up the front wall. Would also possibly allow for a window at the top of the main gable.

SHED COMPLETE.JPG

That is sweet Alan! Awesome job

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

How or what did you do for those double doors. I really don't want to do a roll up door.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Beings that i'm going to be doing all the excavating with a shovel and my own two hands i don't really want to dig a root cellar.

You must have better luck with shovels than I do. I swear everyone I grab is left handed. They just don't feel right. Normally I can get by in a pinch. Personally I would rent the tools and knock it out on a Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

How or what did you do for those double doors. I really don't want to do a roll up door.

I built those doors. I didn’t like they way any prehung double doors looked, wanted them to outswing and I didn’t want to spend 5 grand on nice ones. 

I also made the opening a non stock width since I thought it looked better. Don’t do that. It will just cost you more $$$. 

You can just size the opening for a stock set of prehung double doors. 

19 minutes ago, Alan G said:

I built those doors. I didn’t like they way any prehung double doors looked, wanted them to outswing and I didn’t want to spend 5 grand on nice ones. 

I also made the opening a non stock width since I thought it looked better. Don’t do that. It will just cost you more $$$. 

You can just size the opening for a stock set of prehung double doors. 

Huh yeah i mean i could probably find 2 exterior doors and make the jamb myself but the prehung ones aren't much more than a rollup door and i could get a 60" opening that would be wide enough for a rider or an atv if i got one.

The in swing vs out swing is a good question though. Is out swing worth it?

Nut, do you really, really, really intend on sitting out on this porch? I would maximize my allowable 200 sq. Ft. as a storage shed. You can never make these suckers large enough. I built a 12’ x 16’ shed a few years back and for attic storage , I decked 5’ on each end which gave me a 6’ opening in the center for access. Does your 200’ limit include the porch overhang?